Amelanchier spp.

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Oxalis

Amelanchier spp.

Post by Oxalis » 21 Dec 2018, 09:49

I noticed serviceberry (Amelanchier spp.) isn't in the TTT database, but it is in the rose family and apple tribe so I wondered if the leaves would be suitable as a tortoise treat? We recently acquired a native species of this plant hoping to feed the birds with its fruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier

Happy holidays! :D
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

lin

Re: Amelanchier spp.

Post by lin » 22 Dec 2018, 22:15

Hi Oxalis. So sorry for being late in answering this. I gave noting comeing into my inbox from the forum so its a bit hit and miss here. Nina is away for Christmas visiting family so is not around to help with the research that we both do. However, I I have found that some of the species of Amelanchier does in fact contain hydrogen cyanide, enough to kill cattle and deer.
So on that alone it is not one I would offer a tortoise just to be on the safe side.
The Trtoise Table team all hope you and yours have a great Christmas.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 24 Dec 2018, 05:34

Hi,
I'm writing this from Uganda, where my signal is limited, but just to say I'm surprised we don't have Amelanchier in the database, as it's a common garden tree/shrub, and I have one in my front garden, so we can easily get photos. We'll write an entry when I get back.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 24 Dec 2018, 17:28

Ha ha ha. I was going to suggest the same when you got back.

Lin

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 24 May 2019, 00:00

Thanks for the update and info on Amelanchier. :) Hope you are all having a lovely spring -- where has the time gone?!

Nina

Post by Nina » 24 May 2019, 07:05

Oh dear -- looks like we still haven't written an entry for Amelanchier! We've just been a bit snowed under with things, but I'll move that to the top of my list, so thanks for the reminder.

Warmer weather has finally reached the UK so we -- and the tortoises -- are very happy!

Nina

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 03 Jun 2019, 16:51

Glad to hear it! :)