Male Horsfield

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Teddy28

Male Horsfield

Post by Teddy28 » 23 Dec 2018, 11:04

Hi there, I think I know the answer to this one but just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable please.
My little 8 yr old male (who has been in my care 21 months now)
has developed a new behaviour in the last few weeks. I hear him squeaking, it's not the noise they make when the beak grinds together. When I hear him and go and check on him, he s mounted one of his large pebbles; has his tail wiggling but buried in the warm substrate (50:50 top soil and sand) and has his mouth wide open and gasping.
He was doing this last night just before his light went off, whereupon he went off to sleep - this morning he s just basking under his lamp as normal.
Is it just 'boy behaviour'? Previously I 've seen him marching around showing off his 'boy bits' - which has given a clear indication of what's going on, but in this instance with the squeaking, when I 've lifted him up to check him, there's no sign of his 'boy bits'.
Not sure if it was coincidence last night but I sprayed some warm water onto his substrate and it was almost like it set him off rampaging around his table then I heard the squeaking.
Grateful for your thoughts.

lin

Re: Male Horsfield

Post by lin » 23 Dec 2018, 21:03

Hi Teddy28.
From reading between the lines I would agree and say its a male being a male. The warm substrate probably just felt like heaven for him. As long as there is no wheezing, bubbles from his nares or he starts seeking out and sleeping in a cold area I think he is fine.
Keep watch and make sure he is happy but if there is anything to cause you worry then to settle your fears I would see a vet for their thoughts too.

Hope you and yours has a Happy Christmas and good 2019.

Lin

Teddy28

Re: Male Horsfield

Post by Teddy28 » 24 Dec 2018, 12:05

Thanks for the reassurance Lin. Yes everything fine other than this behaviour, but will keep an eye on him.
Best wishes to you too for Christmas and New year.