Noise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
laurat

Noise

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 06:08

Hi everyone,

I have a question; do Hermanns make noises?

For the first time ever, that I have heard anyway, Vera is making a noise. Almost a squeak, almost a sound like a squeaky shoe.

Any clues?

Nina

Re: Noise

Post by Nina » 18 Oct 2018, 07:32

Hi Laura,

Tortoises do make sounds -- especially the males when they are mating -- and turtles use sound to communicate under water. Are the noises when she is at rest or when you disturb her? There is what many people call the 'hissing' sound that tortoises make when they are disturbed or frightened and draw their heads in quickly, but this is not actually a vocal sound but is instead the sound of air being expelled as the head is drawn quickly into the body. Just for information, here is a link to a page where you can click on links and hear the vocalisations of various species of tortoise -- it's interesting: https://tortoise.org/tortcall.html

A squeak can just be an odd thing, but it can also be a sign that possibly there is a little particle (bit of grass or something) stuck in the nares (nose), or more seriously it can be a sign of a respiratory problem. Does she seem her normal self, eating regularly, etc.? Are there any bubbles coming from her nose? If there are no bubbles and she seems fine, then I would just keep an eye on her but let us know if she seems unwell or distressed, as that might necessitate a visit to the vet.

Nina

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 07:56

Thanks for the quick reply Nina.
In himself (found out she was a he and didn't have the heart to change name after 5yrs) he is fine. Normal activity and eating like a typical bloke!

Nina

Post by Nina » 18 Oct 2018, 08:04

Ha, ha, I forgot that Vera was a 'he'! Might be a case of 'man flu' then :lol:

N

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2018, 11:58

:lol: :lol: :lol: I like that, Man Flu...sounds about right - lol

Laura can I add to Ninas advise and ask id she was cold when you heard the squeek. The reason I ask this is that during the nights, if I was in the tortoise house while they aere sleeping their skin stretching along their shell would often make a high pitch squeek.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 12:06

Man flu ... awwwwww that's marvellous and sounds about right! :lol:

Yes, he was cold. I had just popped the light on and he was waking up.

As I type this he is stuffing his face with his dinner. Plus he hasn't stopped all morning so no sign of no eating or lethargy etc.

Nina

Post by Nina » 18 Oct 2018, 12:41

Sounds like he was just winding you up then -- such an attention seeker! :D

Nina

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 12:43

That sounds about right!! :lol:

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2018, 13:14

I know that feeling of squeeking when your cold - lol. Glad its solved but do keep an eye on that man flu - its very embarassing for tortoises :oops: :lol:
Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 20:00

Well ... there's been an odd squeak through the day, but when I've put the light out for bed its started again.

He's been active all day, he's eaten, he's pee'd and poo'd, no runny nose and no runny eyes.

I've called the vets and I'm to monitor him as it could be a respiratory infection. What do you think, is it time to panic? I'm away from Friday evening to Sunday evening so he will be looked after by my mum.

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2018, 20:23

Isnt that always the case...just as we need to panic we up and leave town!!!

Is there a way you would get a little footage of it. Is it from the skin or the head area. If you lift him and hold his shell to your ear can you hear anything going on inside (I would probabky hold the back onto my ear and not the underside where the tail is for obvious reasons) lol.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 20:56

Lin, at the moment our lives is the motto 'it never rains, it pours!'. Our puppy has just had to have major spinal surgery, our house rabbit has been ill with gastro and now this ... WE ARE DOOMED!!!

When I wake him in the morning I'll try and have a listen with my ear to his back, and definitely not his tail ... I know exactly what he'd do to me, believe me he would!

I'll also try and get a video, however I've found a video on YouTube of a tortoise doing exactly the same ... https://youtu.be/3YzCfbO5B0U

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2018, 21:09

OMG, Laura, what a mess for you. Hope the puppy is ok and makes a full recovery in the near future. Now rabbit and tortoise. That should be the end of the things happening in three's for you, thank heavens and hoping for the turn that causes things to look up.

That is an odd sound with the tortoises beak. That one in particular it seems to me to have a beak that is grown in a way that causes the noise and he is trying to move. stop or get rid of an obstruction. I would much rather see a video like that if you can get one please.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 21:16

The pup is on the road to recovery thank goodness and the rabbit is better too. Helter skelter journey!

I will try and get a video tomorrow morning for you when I wake him. I would have thought if it was anything respiratory it would be all of the time, and even occurring when sleeping. Yes, no?

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2018, 21:22

More than likely but god you dont need any more bad news.
Lets have a look and listen to the video before jumping to conclusions.
So pleased the puppy and rabbit are mending. Give them hugs from me.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 18 Oct 2018, 21:25

I'm wondering if it's his beak. He has cuttlefish but could s beak slightly overgrown cause this?

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2018, 21:52

Oh yes. It sure could. A piece thats catching, any deformaties could cause the strange noise.
WILL YOU STOP PANICKING :roll: go to bed and get a video in the morning. I must tell you though that I dont do mornings - :lol:

Lin
;)

laurat

Post by laurat » 19 Oct 2018, 05:42

In true animal form he doesn't want to squeak on video. He likes to do it off cam. I've held his back to my ear and I cannot hear a thing.

laurat

Post by laurat » 19 Oct 2018, 05:52

Woop I did it, he squeaked twice - on video however it won't allow me to upload. I left the video mounted and running. He's a character mind. Is there an email I can send it to?

Please don't shoot me down for using bark. We couldn't carry on with the soil.

He squeaks twice on video, the second being after he yawns and closes his mouth.

You'll have to excuse his cheekiness as he yawns whilst staring at the camera as though he is saying 'this is boring me!' the cheeky man.

Oh and one other thing, its his birthday today, he is 8!!!

Nina

Post by Nina » 19 Oct 2018, 08:45

Happy Birthday Vera!! So sorry that I missed all these latest posts -- I didn't receive a notification of them for some reason.

I've looked at the YouTube video and wonder if that tortoise there does have a respiratory infection as he is constantly opening his mouth, and they sometimes do that if they have a little infection, as the are trying to get more air in. Is Vera opening his mouth more than usual?

If you email the video to contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk then we will all be able to see it.

I hope you organised suitable festivities for Vera's birthda yesterday -- he will be very miffed if you didn't!

Was so sorry to hear that about your dog and rabbit! Hope they recover really well. Do you feel like you are running an animal hospital?

Nina x

Hope this works:
https://www.cakeclicks.com/topic/Tortoi ... d=1&pid=13

lin

Post by lin » 19 Oct 2018, 08:52

Oh yesss. Happy Birthday little man. 8 is a grand young age.

I have just seen that Nina has given you the contact addy so try and send via that one and see if it sends.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 19 Oct 2018, 12:16

It won't allow me to email as the video is over 20mb. I you get an email from WeTransfer it'll be from me. Watch this space ...

As for Vera, no he isn't opening his mouth.

laurat

Post by laurat » 19 Oct 2018, 16:13

That's sent

lin

Post by lin » 19 Oct 2018, 21:37

Finally we got to see the video Laura, and have replied private.

Lin

laurat

Post by laurat » 21 Oct 2018, 18:00

Just got home and seen your email, thank you girls. Well, as typical as this is going to sound, there's been no noise since I sent you the video.