Plant id?

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Stevef

Plant id?

Post by Stevef » 07 May 2018, 13:02

Good afternoon.
I have just been in my garden and seen these. I think the first are dead nettle, or maybe even henbit.
Do not have a clue what the last image is.
Could someone please advise me?

Thanks
Steve
Attachments
20180507_125223.jpg
20180507_125152.jpg
20180507_125133_HDR.jpg

Nina

Re: Plant id?

Post by Nina » 07 May 2018, 14:57

Hi Steve,

I'm not too sure on these. The first photo -- the one of the two plants growing out of the bricks, I thought might be one of the willowherbs, but I don't think it is now. It looks so familiar and I just can't name it, so hopefully Lin will come on with some ideas.

The second photo -- with the little pink flowers does look like Deadnettle to me. Here is our entry for Henbit, which has some advice on how to tell the difference between it and Deadnettle:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... vBZZJch2M8 -- see what you think -- and there is a photo (the last one) that shows Deadnettle and Henbit together for comparison.

The last flower (the one you are holding), is I'm pretty sure, a Yellow Archangel (or one of the Archangels) that is going over, because of those little frills arund the stem. Here is our entry for that plant: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... vBak5ch2M8 . Unfortunately we don't have any photos showing the little frills -- which are the remnants of the flowers after they have died. I've just pulled up loads in my garden but will try and go out and get a photo of some to add to that entry. Do you have any more of that plant? It should have a square stem -- often reddish in colour, and also often the leaves have silver markings on them and the flowers are usually yellow, although there are some other colours.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 07 May 2018, 15:19

Hi Steve.
I would say the first plant with the green leaves in the stonework is one of the Horsweeds and again its another one where there are so many different shapes to the leaf depending on what part of what year its growing. The other two plants, do you think they have both come from the same plant. The one you are holding can you see what colour the flowers are. I think it could be deadnettle adain as it seems to small to be the Yellow Archangle that Nina is thinking it might be.
Either way you have no henbit in these photos.
Horseweed -- https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... nt=472&c=6

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 07 May 2018, 16:00

Hi again. I've just had another look and I agree with Lin that the photo of the little plant you are holding could well be another Deadnettle. And they have a similar frill after the flowers have died. I do get small Yellow Archangel if it is growing in a not very happy space (like out of a crack in stone or pavement), but looking at those leaves again, I can't see any silver and the shape of the one I can see most clearly is like Deadnettle.

Nina

Stevef

Post by Stevef » 07 May 2018, 21:07

Hi ladies,
Thank you very much for your promt responses. Apologies, the second two photos are from the same plant. I was trying to do a bit of a close up but i think with such beautiful weather the picture got somewhat whitewashed.
I am always questioning myself with these things and maybe a little too paranoid. You've probably guessed that by now.

Thanks again
Steve

lin

Post by lin » 07 May 2018, 21:16

:lol: Your doing fine Steve.
Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 07 May 2018, 22:10

I agree -- you're doing really well Steve, and you can never be paranoid about plants and tortoises. We know of tortoises who have died from eating toxic plants, and it's always best to be sure about what you feed them. Don't hesitate to ask us if you are ever unsure.

Nina