Problem With Shell

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
JulieTaylor

Problem With Shell

Post by JulieTaylor » 05 Mar 2018, 12:25

Hi, this morning I noticed this mark on one of my tortoises. There appears to be 2 tiny holes and around it the shell is pink in colour which makes me think the area could be infected. Any ideas what this could be please and what treatment would you advise?
[attachment=0]B34CADBE-658E-4AF6-98DD-AC651EF175FF.jpeg[/attachment]

Julie
Attachments
B34CADBE-658E-4AF6-98DD-AC651EF175FF.jpeg

lin

Re: Problem With Shell

Post by lin » 05 Mar 2018, 12:32

Is it a Western Hermanns Julie?
Do you keep this one with others as it looks like its been rammed causing these marke as that is the only thing I can think of without knowing any background.
I would take to a good reptile vet that specalises in tortoises asap because it will need treatment sooner rather than later if there is an infection starting. Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about though.
Please keep us posted and good luck.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 05 Mar 2018, 18:49

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear about your tortoise's injury, and I agree with Lin that you need to get your tortoise to a reptile vet soon. Do you have a good reptile vet? If not then we have a list of vets in the UK who treat tortoises (it's organised by county or similar area), and if you can't find one near you there get back to us and we'll see if we can find one near you. Here's a link to the relevant section of our website:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tort ... p2RC-fLiM8

Nina

JulieTaylor

Post by JulieTaylor » 07 Mar 2018, 07:10

Good morning

Many thanks to both Lin and Nina for your much appreciated replies. Took an hour off work yesterday to take Hinge to the vets and so pleased I went sooner rather than later. She has a systemic infection bless her and has been started on a course of 3 antibiotic injections. I’m upset I didn’t notice sooner but hopefully she hasn’t been suffering and has started on her road to recovery. Took Bracket too to be checked over and she appears to be ok, but will be keeping a closer eye on the pair of them. What a worry. I only know they are Hermanns so don’t know if they are Western Hermanns.

Thanks again for your help.
Julie

lin

Post by lin » 07 Mar 2018, 13:51

OMG - Thats just how close things can get isnt it. I am sure she will soon be up to scratch with your TLC.
I love the names Hinge and Bracket. I had almost forgot about those two - lol.
Yes, you can safely say you have Westerns, of that I am sure - lol.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 07 Mar 2018, 14:03

Hi Julie,

Many apologies, s I thought I replied earlier this morning, but it's not here, so I think I must not have pushed send

So glad that you got a diagnosis and that Hinge is on antibiotics now -- hopefully she will be right as rain soon. Did your vet tell you to keep the temps up 24/7 while she is on antibiotics? They are for more effective if the tortoise's body temperature is warm, so just don't turn the heat off at night while she is taking the medicine. Fingers crossed that all is well soon, and let us know how she gets on.

Cheers,
Nina

JulieTaylor

Post by JulieTaylor » 08 Mar 2018, 07:53

Morning

Thanks again for your concern. No I didn’t know to keep the lamp on 24/7 whilst she’s on the antibiotics so thanks so much for telling me that. I specifically asked the vet if there was anything I needed to look out for or anything I could do to improve the situation and there was no advice given so I’m quite annoyed with him for not mentioning it. So thanks Nina for your help.

Julie

Nina

Post by Nina » 08 Mar 2018, 08:42

Hi Julie,

I'm not a vet, so you might want to ring him and double check, but I have always heard that because tortoises are cold blooded, in order for an antibiotic to work effectively, their body temperature must be kept warm during the course of antibiotics. Here is a little passage from The Tortoise Trust article on heating systems. It concerns heat pads, but the principle is still the same -- to keep the tortoise warm during antibiotic treatment:
"We have also found heat pads to be very useful for heating sick tortoises overnight, especially those with respiratory diseases or those on antibiotic therapy where body temperature needs to be maintained within close tolerances in order for drugs to attain maximum effectiveness."

Also, in Stuart McArthur's book, 'Veterinary Management of Tortoises and Turtles', in the section on teatment for pneumonia, he talks about the use of antibiotics and says "maintaining a high body temperature may increase antibiotiic activity and stimulate immunity (30C)".

I am assuming that this applies to all antibiotics, but could be wrong, In the section on Septicaemia, Dr McArthur says "Animals should be maintained at a temperature appropriate to the antibiotic". So it is possible that certain antibiotics do not requre a higher body temperature to be effective, but it might be worth checking.

Can I ask if he is a reptile vet (i.e a vet with qualifications to treat 'exotics')? I'm sure he is fine, and it sounds like he has certainly diagnosed the problem correctly and has proposed the right treatment, but I just thought I'd check.

Nina

asecca

Post by asecca » 08 Mar 2018, 17:37

Hi.
Good thing he's already treated.
Do you know how that infection happened? Was something buried? They bit her ?.

Success for a speedy recovery.
regards

JulieTaylor

Post by JulieTaylor » 11 Mar 2018, 11:18

Morning Nina

Thanks for your latest reply. I checked with the vet regarding the heating and he said in this particular situation I didn’t need to keep the heating on 24/7 but also that it wouldn’t do her any harm either. She’s doing really well and goes for her third injection tomorrow. Many thanks for all your help.

Julie

Nina

Post by Nina » 11 Mar 2018, 11:23

Morning, Julie and thanks so much for the update! What a relief to know that she's on her way to a full recovery.

Cheers,
Nina

JulieTaylor wrote:
> Morning Nina
>
> Thanks for your latest reply. I checked with the vet regarding the heating
> and he said in this particular situation I didn’t need to keep the heating
> on 24/7 but also that it wouldn’t do her any harm either. She’s doing
> really well and goes for her third injection tomorrow. Many thanks for all
> your help.
>
> Julie

JulieTaylor

Post by JulieTaylor » 11 Mar 2018, 11:36

Thanks Asecca for your concern. No I’ve no idea how Hinge became poorly. What could possibly be buried that may have bitten her? She’s doing really well so hoping she will be ok.

Julie