Feed, safe, moderation, sparingly, not

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
Will

Feed, safe, moderation, sparingly, not

Post by Will » 29 Dec 2017, 18:17

Is that the cascade of good to not good? I may have missed a term.

I'm seeking to grasp the overall big picture that goes beyond pass/fail, but rather proportions.

There are many plants in each category. How would you break it down for proportion?

90% variety of "feed", 5% "safe", 4% "moderation", and 1% "sparingly".

Most of the tortoises I have are indoors most of the time. Their diet is what I offer.

I typically have about 80% grocery greens (leaf lettuces, cultured chicories, kale, spring mix, arugula), 15% other greens (mulberry leaves, grape leaves, decompressed pellets of grasses/legumes, moringa, hibiscus, etc.) and 5% hard produce (opuntia, grated squashes, sweet potato, okra, etc.).

Aside from mushrooms added for hingebacks, a wide range of species does well with this proportions/mix.
Will, Live animal biologist
Kapidolo Farms on FB

lin

Re: Feed, safe, moderation, sparingly, not

Post by lin » 29 Dec 2017, 20:05

Hi Will, glad you found it - lol

I dont know if you have seen this but it might throw some light on your questions on how often to feed specific colour codes, you have to scroll down a bit.
There are no hard and fast rules just to make sure that tortoises dont have to much of one code. Its fine for them to eat some amber red in their diet but they must also have Green and Amber green codes to counteract the naughty things that may be in the amber red plants. Its a matter of balance and as we should look on them as a wild animal we should also look on their diet as a wild diet and offer them what they would find in their own habitat if we can and only use store bought things if we cannot source anything else.

Hopefully others will pop along when they are able and add to what I have offered and if you can think of anything else just ask.

Lin
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... -database/

Will

Post by Will » 01 Jan 2018, 19:54

Thanks Lin. I did not find that part of TTT and am glad you pointed it out. TTT webpages are many. I'm glad you folks decided to have a forum.
Will, Live animal biologist
Kapidolo Farms on FB

Nina

Post by Nina » 01 Jan 2018, 21:04

Hi Will,

I've just looked at your Kapidolo Farm FB page -- really interesting. I can see that you are very concerned with appropriate reptile diets, and I'd love to hear more about your work.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 01 Jan 2018, 21:11

Once you start looking into the webpages it is quite a large place and often growing, especially the database. Between here and the FB page we do sometimes get a bit slow but do our best to keep up - :lol:
If theres anything else you need Will, just get back and we will do our best.

Have a Happy New Year.
Lin