Need Help w/ Small, Yellow Flowers

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in countries outside the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Oxalis

Need Help w/ Small, Yellow Flowers

Post by Oxalis » 22 Jun 2017, 21:26

This one has turned up in a small area of my outdoor tortoise enclosure, and before I could stop my Russian tortoise, he took a small bite. The worst part was that I was already out weeding just then! :x I assume it's fine; it's likely something from the mustard family, but I wanted to make sure since he ate some. He's usually only eating plants I've already identified and happen to be safe for him (he's got good taste). I've been pulling it every time I see it in the enclosure. I live in Michigan, U.S.

The diameter of the flowers is less than half a centimeter. The stalk is very thin and stringy. The leaves are the largest part of the plant, which was maybe 10 cm tall when I pulled it. Seems to like growing in the shade. The plant had started to droop by the time I got the camera, sorry. I did try to include a close-up of the tiny flowers too.

[attachment=1]unidentified1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]unidentified2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
unidentified2.jpg
unidentified1.jpg
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

lin

Re: Need Help w/ Small, Yellow Flowers

Post by lin » 22 Jun 2017, 21:48

Hiya.
It probably is one of the Mustards/Brassica but without seeing one of the flowers up close I cant tell. Do they have just four petals per flower.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Jun 2017, 22:19

Hi Mekie -- great to hear from you! I agree with her about it probably being a Brassica (do check the number of petals), although she is much better at IDing plants that look like they died last week and were then run over by a truck than I am :lol: Just teasing -- how are you and how is Steve? Is that him all dressed up like a Stegosaurus in your profile picture? I love it! I still remember what a great outdoor environment you made for him. My Doris and Dolly send their regards to their American friend!

Nina

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 25 Jun 2017, 18:09

Yes, yes! Tis me and my little Stevie in his knitted stegosaurus Halloween costume! :lol: We are back and loving the new Tortoise Table!!

Here is another little guy still in the ground, with the four yellow petals. So yet another Brassica, you say? No surprise here... Thank you, thank you!! I'll email you soon, Nina!! :D

[attachment=0]unidentified3.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
unidentified3.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Jun 2017, 18:20

Hi Mekie,

Aww, Steve is a little style icon isn't he? :D
Lin is better on the various Brassicas than me, so maybe she can ID it, but it certainly does look like one to me.

Nina x

Oxalis

Post by Oxalis » 28 Jun 2017, 05:10

Many thanks, Nina! :D