Help needed with Plant identification please.

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Kirsty

Help needed with Plant identification please.

Post by Kirsty » 23 Apr 2017, 15:45

Hope I am putting this in the correct place as I am new to the forum. I am in the process of sorting out the safe weeds and plants in our purpose built tortoise garden for a Herman tortoise which we hope to get next year and need some help identifying the weeds etc in the following photos please.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kirsty

Re: Help needed with Plant identification please.

Post by Kirsty » 23 Apr 2017, 15:50

Kirsty wrote:
> Hope I am putting this in the correct place as I am new to the forum. I am
> in the process of sorting out the safe weeds and plants in our purpose
> built tortoise garden for a Herman tortoise which we hope to get next year
> and need some help identifying the weeds etc in the following photos
> please.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 23 Apr 2017, 15:53

Kirsty wrote:
> Kirsty wrote:
> > Hope I am putting this in the correct place as I am new to the forum. I am
> > in the process of sorting out the safe weeds and plants in our purpose
> > built tortoise garden for a Herman tortoise which we hope to get next year
> > and need some help identifying the weeds etc in the following photos
> > please.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 23 Apr 2017, 15:56

Kirsty wrote:
> Kirsty wrote:
> > Kirsty wrote:
> > > Hope I am putting this in the correct place as I am new to the forum. I am
> > > in the process of sorting out the safe weeds and plants in our purpose
> > > built tortoise garden for a Herman tortoise which we hope to get next year
> > > and need some help identifying the weeds etc in the following photos
> > > please.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

lin

Post by lin » 23 Apr 2017, 16:33

Hi Kirsty.
All your plants have image numbers under them, so I will use those to match the ones I am talking about. Hope that makes sense.
If you put the plant names in the search of our database you will be able to read our notes on the specific plant.
If you have any trouble finding them then please do get back to us.
Any that I miss then hopefully Nina or Jon will join in.

Lin

208.27 - Probably one of the bittercress but I cant see the leaves to be 100% sure. Search Bittercress on out database and see if you agree.
247.26 - Bull Thistle.
195.32 - Mallow.
242.9 - Could you send in a photo of a single leaf for this one please Kirsty.
234.73 - Sowthistle.
291.11 - I can only see its a frilly leaved plant Kirsty. Its a bit of a jungle. It could be many plants from Cosmos to Love in a Mist and a few in between so a pic of the leaf would be good.
277.89 - Same as pic 1 (208.27)
297.68 - Purple Deadnettle
258.33 - Sow Thistle is at top left and the center looks like a thistle. Cleaf shot of the leaf would confirm.
235.79 - Herb Robert
253 - This needs to grow more, could it be the same as image 291.11
211.51 - A wider shot would be better on this one Kirsty to enable us better id.

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 25 Apr 2017, 08:53

Thank you Lin that was very helpful. I have a few others that I'm not sure about, are you able to help identify these as well please.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 25 Apr 2017, 08:54

Kirsty wrote:
> Thank you Lin that was very helpful. I have a few others that I'm not sure
> about, are you able to help identify these as well please.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Apr 2017, 11:53

Hi Kirsty,

I'll have a go at some of these, but I'm sure Lin will be on later to confirm or correct.
Just a note, but it is far easier for us to ID a plant if the photo is of it growing in the ground, so that we can see how it comes out of the ground, how the leaves or stalks come off the stem, etc. Here are some guidelines that will help us to give a more accurate ID: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site ... hp?f=7&t=4
Your first two photos (with the tiny white flower) look like Chickweed to me: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... P8o5cbauM8
The last photo in that posting are seedheads, which I should know but can't place right now.
In your second post
The first photo, with the tiny blue flowers at first I thought was Forget-me-not http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... P8pjMbauM8 but when I looked closer I'm sure that it is in fact Lamb's Lettuce http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... P8pwMbauM8 which can look similar but has much smaller flowers
The other two I'm not complete sure of because they are wilted and lying on their side, but the first might a Petty Spurge http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... P8qQcbauM8 and the last might be Groundsel http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... P8qbsbauM8 but the leaves look a bit too fine for Groundsel -- but Lin will probably know.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 25 Apr 2017, 15:36

Hi Kirsty.
Your new plant photos are as follows and I will use the last two numbers of the images so you can follow.
42 & 26 are both Chickweed.
83 is Bittercress
82 looks like its Corn Salad.
23 is Spurge
295.23 is one of the daisy type flowers but I am not very good on those so hopefully someone else will step in and give you an ID.

As last time, if you type those names into the search thats on our database you will be able to read our entrys.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 25 Apr 2017, 17:48

Thanks, Lin. Kirsty, just so you aren't confused, the plant that Lin says is Corn Salad and I said was Lamb's Lettuce is the same thing (those are just two common names for that one plant).

Nina

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 25 Apr 2017, 21:48

Thank you Nina and Lin, you have both been very helpful

lin

Post by lin » 25 Apr 2017, 23:56

Your very welcome Kirsty.

Lin

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 26 Apr 2017, 16:33

Taking into account how many weeds have appeared during these last few months in our prospective tortoise garden and finding that there are a few weeds which are clearly unsuitable we have decided to dig the area over removing the weeds and roots as best we can, then to replant with safe plants. Before we go ahead and remove one bit of foliage in particular would you be able to check it for me please, (I believe it is one that I put up in the first group of pics but you needed a pic of the leaf).
Many Thanks.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

lin

Post by lin » 26 Apr 2017, 18:24

I'm pretty sure this is a Mustard, probably Charlock Mustard. Either way it is one of the brassica family and will be fine in moderation.
Have a look at our entry and see if you think its your plant Kirsty.

Lin
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... /?plant=80

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 26 Apr 2017, 21:50

Thanks again Lin, I've had a look and I'm thinking the leaves on mine are a bit larger than the ones in the pic on your plant site and there is a distinctive white line down the centre of my leaves too. I am going to the garden centre on Sunday so will see if there is someone there who might be able to help with identification too.

lin

Post by lin » 26 Apr 2017, 22:23

Thats a good idea Kirsty. Would you let us know what they come up with please.

Lin

Kirsty

Post by Kirsty » 01 May 2017, 09:04

Hi Lin, the garden centre staff believe it is a Campanula, but we still won't really know for sure until it flowers. I found a label for a Campanula near by the plant leaves, so am now 90% sure that's what it is. It says 'clockwise deep blue' on the label but I couldn't find that particular one in your plant data. Do you know if this particular type is safe for a tortoise please?