Money Plant?

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
LittlePenBigHeart

Money Plant?

Post by LittlePenBigHeart » 01 Nov 2017, 11:03

I was given a money plant ages ago and since it clearly doesn't work (!) I was wondering if it's safe to give to my Hermann's tortoise? I've looked it up and think it's called Crassula Portulacea.

Nina

Re: Money Plant?

Post by Nina » 01 Nov 2017, 11:46

Hi!
We do have an entry for Crassula Portulacea in our plant database, and it's safe to feed in moderation or even sparingly. Yours probably looks a bit like the second photo in the first row of small photos (Crassula ovata var. Gollum), because I think the portulacea has longish tubular leaves. Let me know if yours doesn't seem like one of those in the photos:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plan ... fmy54hpGM8

Nina

LittlePenBigHeart

Post by LittlePenBigHeart » 02 Nov 2017, 12:40

Haha! Do you know I spent ages looking for it in the database and couldn't find it?! I think I've gone a bit mad the last few days!

Thank you very much for your help.

Nina

Post by Nina » 02 Nov 2017, 13:10

Oh dear -- sorry about that. Did you try typing Crassula Portulacea in the search box? I tried that it it works (but I do know that there are sometimes glitches when it doesn't work). Anyway, glad we got the right plant.

Nina