Roses yes or no?

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Summerills

Roses yes or no?

Post by Summerills » 01 Jun 2020, 17:46

Hi
I have had a look through the database but I don’t seem to be able to find any roses on there.
We are planning on an indoor enclosure for tort when it arrives and then converting a sunny flowerbed in a corner of our garden to an outside enclosure for next spring. It’s against our neighbours rose and they have a wild/rambling rose that overhangs a little. The plan itself wouldn’t hit the enclosure but it drops dead petals which would land in and probably fall through netting due to their small size.
Can anyone tell me if this would be a problem?!

On another point- having looked at all the naturally occurring weeds in our small garden 😬, so far none of them are edible- now I have no excuse to not weed!!!

Thanks
Nic

Nina

Re: Roses yes or no?

Post by Nina » 01 Jun 2020, 19:22

Hi Nic,

That's odd as we have two entries for Rose on the database. Here is the one for Wild Rose https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... tVFrMB7m9s and here's a link to the one for ordinary cultivated roses: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... tVGCcB7m9s How did you try to search for them? Did you type 'rose' into the search box that is at the top of every page? I hope the website isn't malfunctioning, and I know we had a few problems with the app recently but I think they are fixed now.

Anyway, you're in luck as you can see, and the roses shouldn't be any problem -- mine quite like rose petals, but just be sure that your neighbour hasn't sprayed his roses with an insecticide.

What weeds do you have in your garden? Any dandelions, plantain, herb robert, sowthistle, cat's ears, or garden flowers like campanula, pansies, welsh poppies, evening primrose? LOL, my garden is a bit of a weed paradise, but I do love my flowers so I keep the weeds to a level that is just enough to feed the tortoises, but not enough to swamp other plants.

Cheers,
Nina

Summerills

Post by Summerills » 01 Jun 2020, 21:36

Thanks Nina- that’s good to know and no, no spraying, they are very ‘natural’ gardeners (it’s a bit of a wilderness)

I used PlantSnap to try and identify things with varying degrees of success- we have quite a small garden really and most things are in pots. I didn’t keep a record of what I did find but they were generally toxic- ivy, beach daisies etc..
As luck would have it all my favourites like campanula which I have only just got to take I understand will go done well- I shall just have to grow some more. I’m going to buy some seeds I saw recommended in another post too so I’ll have a selection.

Nina

Post by Nina » 01 Jun 2020, 22:06

That's great, Nic -- and if you ever want a plant identified then just send us some photos of it (the whole plant growing, in situ, plus close-ups of flowers, seed heads, etc., and we'll do our best to put a name to it. You'd probably be amazed at how many things are growing in your garden that can be fed. Or you could join the ranks of those who wander through the fields and up and down the verges, plastic carrier bag in hand, picking lovely weeds for their tortoises, and labelled by passers by as 'crazies'. :D

Nina