Bee Bomb ID.

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Pamalu

Bee Bomb ID.

Post by Pamalu » 20 Feb 2020, 16:51

I have planted the Bee Bomb this year and have a lot of native plants coming through. I'm trying to ID them but so far, all that is flowering and thriving is a purple flower with leaves a bit like a carrot top. I will try and attach a photo. If anybody knows what this is, I'd be very grateful. I've looked through the plant ID board but can't see one the same.
Attachments
IMG_9274.JPG
IMG_9274.JPG

Nina

Re: Bee Bomb ID.

Post by Nina » 20 Feb 2020, 18:58

I'm not sure, but it looks to me like you might have two species of plant there. The really lacy leaves (which are most of them) look a bit like Yarrow, and then right below the pink flowers there is a leaf that is a bit frilly but not really, and is different from the ones that look like Yarrow to me. If you follow the flower stalk down with your fingers, can you tell if it is part of those lacy leaves or if there is a slightly different leaf attached to it?

I've looked at the contents of a bee bomb online and Yarrow is certainly one of the species there, but the pink flower looks to me a bit like Windflower (Anemone nemorosa), but that isn't listed on the contents of the packet that I saw online. Are you growing these seeds in trays indoors or in the ground? If in the ground then I wonder if it is possible that the anemone has just popped up in the middle of your seeded patch.

I could be completely wrong here, but have a look to see if the flower is actually the same plant as the majority of those leaves, or if it has a different leaf, and we can make a better ID.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 20 Feb 2020, 20:36

Hiya.
I agree with Nina in saying the purple flower is one of the anemone species and a no feed. If you zoom in you can see it is a different leaf.
Lin

Pamalu

Post by Pamalu » 21 Feb 2020, 21:51

Thank you for your replies. It is possible that there are many different plants coming through, I see what you mean by the different leaves. So, the purple flowering plant is a no go but the frillier leaved are ok, is that right? I planted the Bee Bomb in a big container, so there would be no chance of my tortoise getting to the plants. It would be good if I could feed him some of them.

Nina

Post by Nina » 21 Feb 2020, 22:31

Do you have a list of contents of your Bee Bomb? When i looked online at the contents of a Bee Bomb (although it might not have been the same as yours), there wasn't any plant that was like the one in your photo (which we think is an anemone), but I could be wrong. Was the container that you planted the seeds in used for anything else previously?

If the plant that we think might be Yarrow is Yarrow, then we don't recommend feeding it. Some sites do say that Yarrow is OK to feed, but we tend to err on the side of caution and you can see the reasons why we don't recommend feeding in our entry for the plant here:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... lBY90rgq9s and here https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... lBZYUrgq9s

It's really lovely to plant seeds that will grow into bee-friendly plants, but unfortunately some of the plants that are good for bees arern't necessarily good for tortoises. You can buy seeds for tortoise-friendly plants, and many of those will also be good for bees (we can post you a link to some sites if you are interested).

Nina

Pamalu

Post by Pamalu » 22 Feb 2020, 09:19

Thank you so much for your reply. There was a leaflet with the bee bomb that listed all the weeds/flowers in the bomb. I didn't keep it unfortunately so therefore, I have no idea what is what. As the flowers and weeds are emerging, I just wondered if Mr Whoops (Horsfield Tortoise) could eat them. It's not really a big deal, but thought I'd ask in case someone knew what it was. Thanks for your help.

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Feb 2020, 13:40

We're happy to help all we can, so just keep taking photos of the plants that emerge and hopefully some of them will provide nice treats for your tortoise!

Cheers,
Nina