Help with plant id please

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Bls193

Help with plant id please

Post by Bls193 » 18 Jun 2017, 22:58

Hello, I have this plant in my tortoises table believing it was hypoestes, which is a safe plant however I am now thinking it may be Fittonia? If so is this okay for tortoises to eat? Or I could be completely wrong with both! Have you any ideas please?
Thanks in advance :)
[attachment=0]20170618-201649.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20170618-201649.jpg

Nina

Re: Help with plant id please

Post by Nina » 19 Jun 2017, 09:06

Hi and so sorry that it has taken a while for us to respond to your post. Fittonia and Hypoestes are in the same family, but it can be difficult to tell them apart. From what I can see, the stems of Fittonia are covered in a short fuzz (are your stems smooth or fuzzy?), and the markings on the leaves tend to be mainly in white or red -- whereas your leaf markings are darker, and that would indicate Hypoestes. As far as I can see, Fittonia is also safe for tortoises, but I haven't explored everything yet, so I would feed only with caution. However, if the plant is growing in your table and your tortoise has never attempted to eat it, you are probably safe in keeping it there.

Nina

Bls193 wrote:
> Hello, I have this plant in my tortoises table believing it was hypoestes,
> which is a safe plant however I am now thinking it may be Fittonia? If so
> is this okay for tortoises to eat? Or I could be completely wrong with
> both! Have you any ideas please?
> Thanks in advance :)
> 20170618-201649.jpg

Bls193

Post by Bls193 » 19 Jun 2017, 11:34

Thanks for your reply. I have just checked and the stem are covered with short fuzz I think, I have attached a picture hopefully you can see it clearly. He does nibble on it from time to time but it never gets destroyed like other plants in his table so do you think it would be okay left in?

Thanks for your help!

[attachment=0]DSC_0434.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
DSC_0434.JPG

Nina

Post by Nina » 19 Jun 2017, 13:04

Ahh, yes, I can see the fuzz. I think it's probably OK to leave it in, but hopefully Lin will do some further checking (I'm out for the afternoon now), and confirm or deny! Fingers crossed.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 19 Jun 2017, 13:47

I agree with Nina in saying it is probably ok to leave is and as he isnt showing much interest in it anyway there would be no worries.

Lin