Sweet pea

Use this forum for identification of plants and flowers found in the UK. To allow us to help provide accurate identification we need clear pictures of the whole plant, where it is growing and close up pictures of flowers, buds or seed heads if any available. It would also be useful to see pictures showing the leaf attached to the stem.
Keelymc1

Sweet pea

Post by Keelymc1 » 03 Mar 2021, 21:10

Hi there I have had to log back on & reregister lol :D Our 2 ladies woke last sund after their hibernation holiday in hubby's work shop. Its their 2and one with us, still nerve racking!! Bellatrix La Stange aka Bella the little one & Berta the big one over 80ys bless her xx both rescued and came as a pair from the Lovley Lynne in Norwich Norfolk. Please can you tell me as I searched the TTT Database but it didn't come up?? Is Sweet pea safe for the girls as we started growing last year. Many thanks Keely Mc xx

Nina

Re: Sweet pea

Post by Nina » 03 Mar 2021, 22:14

Hi -- great to hear from you, and how super that both Bella and Berta have come through hibernation with flying colours. And so sorry you have had to re-register!

It's strange that Sweet Pea didn't come up on our database (did you type Sweet Pea into the search box?). Anyway, unfortunately this is not one for tortoises -- or any animal -- because in addition to being a legume (wihch means they are too high in protein), they are also relatively toxic, containing lathyrogens which if eaten in large quantities can cause a condition called Lathyrus (symptoms are paralysis, breathlessness and convulsions).
Here is our entry for it: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... EAIjNynyM8
So it means that you can enjoy the full beauty of the sweet peas in vases in your house without having to worry that some of them have gone to make up the tortoises' lunch.

Nina

Keelymc1

Post by Keelymc1 » 04 Mar 2021, 13:19

Hi Nina thanks for your reply. I will keep the girls away from the flowers. :D

Nina

Post by Nina » 04 Mar 2021, 13:56

And the leaves :D :D :D :mrgreen:

Nina

Keelymc1 wrote:
> Hi Nina thanks for your reply. I will keep the girls away from the flowers.
> :D