Trimming Leaves on Spider Plants

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Oxalis

Trimming Leaves on Spider Plants

Post by Oxalis » 22 Sep 2018, 22:47

Quick question on spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum): I repotted a few from my friend and they went through a bit of transplant shock in the process. The ends of most of the leaves are brown, but the newer growth is green. I thought that they could still take in sunlight from the brown parts of the leaves, but they seem to be needing more TLC lately. Should I trim off the ends of the leaves that are brown instead?
I <3 Stevie, my Russian tortoise!

Jon

Re: Trimming Leaves on Spider Plants

Post by Jon » 23 Sep 2018, 15:50

I'm not sure there is a definitive 'better' option? It's a bit more tricky with spider plants isn't it ... as it's often not the whole leaf which is starting to brown.

I personally do trim the ends off, as the chlorophyll will be gone/inactive (and also it looks better IMO) and increases air circulation. Whether or not it stimulates growth I'm not sure and would depend on why the end of the leaf has died. In your case and as it's not due to nutrients, I think either way would be fine. Perhaps see what Nina and Lin do.

I'm sure the plant will however thrive either way with this level of care :), spider plants are pretty enduring, thankfully.

Jon
Jon - The Tortoise Table