Echinacea

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Torttastic

Echinacea

Post by Torttastic » 07 Feb 2018, 23:16

I have recently purchased 2 completely different types of echinacea. One is echinacea purpurea which comes as tubers and echinacea pallida which comes as seeds. I'm confused about whether they are safe foods for my tortoises. I thought tubers where a no feed plant.

Nina

Re: Echinacea

Post by Nina » 08 Feb 2018, 09:50

Hi, and thanks for contacting us. I'm a bit confused too, as I didn't think that Echinacea grew from tubers! Are you sure that what you are seeing are actually tubers and not just fleshy roots? Most types of Echinaceae have long tap roots, and these can be quite fleshy, but I have searched lots of sites this morning and can't find anywhere that mentions Echinaceae purpurea (or any species of Echinaceae) with tubers. Could you send in a photo of the tubers that you have? Actually tubers are generally a 'no feed' (they store lots of protein) but there are some exceptions, so it will be interesting to see what your Echinacea purpurea tubers look like.

Nina

Torttastic

Post by Torttastic » 12 Feb 2018, 20:34

This is what the purpurea roots look like. I guess it's just roots and not a tuber?
Attachments
IMG_1523.JPG
Echinacea purpurea roots

lin

Post by lin » 12 Feb 2018, 22:04

Yes, thats it, just roots.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 12 Feb 2018, 22:10

Yes, I agree with Lin -- those are roots. Just for information, tubers are actually a type of swollen stem that grows just under the ground, and they almost always have 'eyes' or growth nodes on them. But it can be difficult sometimes to tell the difference between fleshy roots, tubers and rhizomes, so you were right to question it, and thanks for sending in the photo.

Nina