Cissus Sicyoides/Verticillata

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
Jeloz

Cissus Sicyoides/Verticillata

Post by Jeloz » 14 Oct 2021, 11:11

Hi,

Does anyone have any opinions on the creeper vine Cissus verticillata or Cissus sicoyoides(These seem to be the same plant)? Are they safe to feed?
I notice there's a page up on Cissus rhombifolia (https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/pla ... WgBHRwRWUl) which says it's safe - but I'm not sure if it applies to these varieties

Nina

Re: Cissus Sicyoides/Verticillata

Post by Nina » 14 Oct 2021, 11:50

Hi Jeloz,

I'm afraid this one is going to need a bit more research, and it might be tomorrow or the next day before I can get back to you. I've read that there are reports of Cissus verticillata causing goitres in cattle, and that it is called 'plant insulin' and used by natives as a treatment for diabetes in South America, but I don't know the implications of that for tortoises. I need to dig a bit further!

Best,
Nina

Jeloz

Post by Jeloz » 15 Oct 2021, 08:36

Hi Nina,

No worries! There's no rush at all, and I really appreciate you taking the time to help out :D

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Oct 2021, 11:39

Well, I've had a good look, and I think it is probably OK to feed. Both Cissus sicyoides and cissus verticillata are called plant insulin and used to treat diabetes in South America, but the studies I've read indicated that although it does reduce blood glucose levels in mammals, there doesn't seem to be any associated toxicity (for example, this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6120429/ ). Also, the doses given to animals were concentrated and so far more than a tortoise is likely to ingest.

Unfortunately I can find no studies relating to reptiles (but that is the case with most plants), so I think that despite the fact that I can't see any problems (except one anecdotal article that indicated it had caused goitres in cattle), I would feed it in moderation, or sparingly, and as part of a wide and varied diet.

Hope that helps.

Nina

Jeloz

Post by Jeloz » 18 Oct 2021, 18:29

Hey Nina,

That's good to know,
my redfoot is really picky so I'm always on the lookout for safe plants (that he will eat :roll: ) to add to his diet - and he seemed to really love these when he found some the other day.

Anyway, thanks for all your help with the research! You guys running the site really are such a blessing to this community :D :D

Nina

Post by Nina » 18 Oct 2021, 19:30

Thanks for such lovely compliments, Jeloz, and we're always happy to help, I hope your Redfoot enjoys his treats (and appreciates how hard you are working to provide a good life for him!).

Nina

'