Compost.

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
beeclaire80

Compost.

Post by beeclaire80 » 25 Feb 2021, 17:09

Hi all,

My lovely neighbour has given me 12 winter pansy plants. He planted them from seed back in autumn but they took an age to grow and he didn’t end up using them in his winter baskets.

He said they are grown in bog standard compost but couldn’t remember the brand. He doesn’t add any fertiliser or insecticides.

If I was to rinse the roots and replant them in topsoil when would I be able to let Floyd eat them?

Thank you.

Nina

Re: Compost.

Post by Nina » 25 Feb 2021, 19:11

I think that if he has grown them from seed in the autumn, then they will have used up a lot of any fertiliser that was in the compost by now, and as he hasn't added any more fertiliser I don't tihnk it is much of a problem. Actually fertiliser, while not good, is not super dangerous --- it is much more dangerous to feed plants that have been sprayed with insecticide, and it sounds like these haven't been. I don't think it's necessary to wash the roots in this case (but you could do if that makes you feel more comfortable).

Hope that helps,
Nina

beeclaire80

Re: Compost.

Post by beeclaire80 » 25 Feb 2021, 19:57

Hi Nina,

That’s brilliant news that you!

I’m confident Floyd will enjoy (and probably demolish fairly quickly!!)

Claire