Can I feed only this

Use this forum to ask about plants which are not currently in our database or any other plant questions you have.
TortillaTheTortoise

Can I feed only this

Post by TortillaTheTortoise » 10 Apr 2019, 06:13

Can I feed a tortoise the following plants and veg?

•Succulents
•Aloe
•Grass
•Weeds
•Dandelions

NOT EVERYDAY:

•Carrot
•Gem squash
•Watermelon
•Prickly pear?

Nina

Re: Can I feed only this

Post by Nina » 10 Apr 2019, 09:22

Hi Tortilla and thanks for contacting us. I am assuming that you are asking about this diet for an Angulate tortoise (the same as your other posts today, which I will try to answer very soon). Regarding diet, from what I can see, the Angulate tortoise requires a diet similar to the Leopard tortoise (mainly coarse fibrous plants like grasses with the addition of other weeds), but the Angulate tortoise should have lots of succulents in its diet as well, so your first list below seems very good.

Regarding the second list I am not so sure. Prickly pear will be fine, and a small amount of carrot will do no harm every now and then, but regarding gem squash and watermelon I am less sure -- especially about the watermelon, as the sugars in that fruit will probably not go well with your tortoise's digestive system.
I found this site in South Africa containing a diet sheet for Angulate tortoises. They mostly look fine to me, but I would disagree that Portulaca is good to feed to the tortoise because it is high in oxalic acid, and you should avoid all foods containing high levels of oxalic acid.
https://www.carecentre.org.za/angulate.html

I hope that helps, but please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any more questions -- and don't forget that when you post a message, below the box you are writing in there is a list of options, and you should tick the box that says 'Notify me when a reply is posted', as that way you will receive an email to let you know when someone responds to your post.

Nina