Lost Hermann tortoise

This forum is for posting details of lost or found tortoises.
salbull

Lost Hermann tortoise

Post by salbull » 21 Aug 2020, 17:33

Hampton, Middlesex 20/8/20

Nina

Re: Lost Hermann tortoise

Post by Nina » 21 Aug 2020, 22:03

Thanks for posting and we will post this on our Facebook page too. I do hope you find him -- chances are that he is still in your garden but has just dug down under a bush or something, to escape rain or for the night. Do a fingertip search of everywhere in your garden, looking for areas where the soil seems a bit loose and then gently dig down. Tortoises are great at disappearing. Also check to see if he could have got out of your garden by digging under a fence or climbing up a plant and over a low wall. I would ask all of your neighbours to keep an eye out for him. You could also put some 'naught'y' food out (strawberries, etc.) to see if he comes out of hiding when the sun is out to have a treat. Please let us know how you get on.

Best,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 21 Aug 2020, 22:38

Hi Salbull

If we put this on the facebook page we would need an email address so that we could contact you in the event the tortoise was found. We also need a photo to draw people to the post. Would you be able to sent those in so we can set this in motion.

Lin

salbull wrote:
> Hampton, Middlesex 20/8/20

Nina

Post by Nina » 21 Aug 2020, 23:13

You can send any photos to contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk and we will put them on the Facebook page for you.

Nina

salbull

Post by salbull » 24 Aug 2020, 18:32

Hi Nina

Unbelievably Charlie, the escapee Hermann tortoise I was looking after, has been found!
A neighbour I had alerted found him in his garden, while raking up leaves, this afternoon. He has been reunited with his owner who is back from hols.
I’m not sure who is the most relieved!!
Thank you very much for your messages.
Sally

Nina

Post by Nina » 24 Aug 2020, 21:03

Thanks so much for the good news! Tortoises are amazing escape artists and it's just brilliant that the neighbour found him (definitely relief all round)!

Nina