REHOMED - Brokkr the Hermann tortoise needing a new home.

Tortoise Groups and individuals may use this section to advertise tortoises in need of rehoming.
takara

REHOMED - Brokkr the Hermann tortoise needing a new home.

Post by takara » 19 May 2020, 15:51

[attachment=0]Brokkr-rehoming-2.jpg[/attachment]

This is something I was never expecting to have to do and it brings me a lot of pain to know that right now I am not able to give Brokkr the life I know he deserves. I am a firm believer that if you decided to take on a pet, it is your responsibility to take care of them and ensure they have a good life until the day they pass (in this case I would defiantly be the one going first). which is one of the many reasons this decision is hard for me and isn't being taken lightly.

Brokkr is a 6 year old Hermann tortoise that I've had him since he was a baby. When I originally got him, I was in a good big place that housed not only him but I also had 2 cats, 3 Jackson Chameleons, a crested gecko and a number of hissing cockroaches. Then a few years later, the owners of the house decided to sell and I had to move out, which is where things have gone a little pair shaped.

The issue is, I'm a full time wheelchair user. The place I was in allowed me to get around and take care of everyone at it was all flat. The next place we moved was...ok-ish for me but it had a lot of space for Brokkr we were in a flat share and it had a garden I could access. Then we had to move again. We had a huge amount of trouble finding a place that I could get around in and we only had a month or so to find somewhere. The place we moved into is a small two story house (I have to spend a lot of time crawling around on my knees) and although it has a garden, I can't get into it as there is a patio down a step and then the grass that angles down. I can't left him out as I wouldn't be able to get him back if he wondered off.

We are now down to just 2 cats and Brokkr (the others passed away due to old age) and he's in a space that just isn't good for him. I really hate to have to do this but I know I need to do what's right for him.

He love to climb, sniff everything, is very energetic and loves a nice bath. He is mainly an inside tortoise and is use to a lot of heat and UVB light. He has never been hibernated, which was my choice as being a first time tortoise owner and know that he would have enough food and heat. I spoke with a vet about it and they said it would be more dangerous to hibernate him.

I don't want to let him go to just anyone so if you could please let me know what kind of set up you have and if you have any experience looking after Hermann tortoises, it would put my mind at ease a lot. If you would like any more photos of him, please just let me know.

If you'd like to email me, you can get hold of me takaradancy@gmail.com

We are in the Dorchester area but I am happy to travel anywhere in Dorset if I can find him the perfect home.
Attachments
Brokkr-rehoming-2.jpg
Brokkr-rehoming-3.jpg
Brokkr-rehoming-2.jpg
Brokkr-rehoming-1.jpg

Nina

Re: Brokkr the Hermann tortoise needing a new home.

Post by Nina » 19 May 2020, 22:09

Hi Takara,

Thank you for posting about rehoming Brokkr, and we are so sorry to hear of your circumstances and the fact that you are having to find a new home for Brokkr. I can only imagine how painful this has been for you, and what a difficult decision this was to make. It sounds to me like you have given him a really good home and lots of love, and he is a very handsome tortoise. Is there any chance at all that you might move again, and to a home that would be more suitable for both you and Brokkr, so that you could stay together?

We will of course help you in any way we can, but I just need to state (so that people who apply are aware) that it is Tortoise Table policy that no money can change hands when tortoises are rehomed -- and I hope that is OK with you.

Also, would you like us to post a notice about Brokkr on our Facebook page, where it will get a larger audience? My colleague, Lin, deals with that and she would do a draft of a notice for you, and send it to you for your approval before posting it. And when people do apply to you, I would definitely ask them for photos of their set-up, so that you know that Brokkr is going to a home where he will be provided with everything he needs.

If you want to contact us direct about this, just write to contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk and Lin and I will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Warmest wishes,
Nina

takara

Post by takara » 20 May 2020, 12:15

Hi Nina,

Thank you for your message.

I have absolutely no desire to gain any money for this, I just want to find him the best home he could possibly have.

I would really love to find a new place where we could still keep him but unfortunately, due to my condition, my partners work and a number of other problems I would prefer not to get into I can't seem to be able to make it work. I have asked family members to see if they can take him but they are also unable to take him on.

I've sent you an email regarding extending this post to facebook. I've stated I will be holding onto him until I am confident he's found a home that can give him more than I can right now.

If you have any questions or would like any more photos, just let me know.

Many thanks
Takara

lin

Post by lin » 20 May 2020, 13:43

Thanks Takara.
I agree you must be 100% sure you have found the parfect home for Brokkr (I love that name) before allowing him to move on.
I will set out the post for the FB page and send it to you for checking.
Such a sad but truly brave decision and I admire you for it.

Lin