REHOMED: Spiff -- Hermann's Tortoise

Tortoise Groups and individuals may use this section to advertise tortoises in need of rehoming.
Nina

REHOMED: Spiff -- Hermann's Tortoise

Post by Nina » 05 Feb 2019, 23:08

Spiff is still hibernating, but sadly her owner passed away a short while ago and she is needing a special forever home, preferably in the Nottingham area or with someone who is willing to travel there for collection.

She is an elderly Testudo hermanni boettgeri -- her exact age is unknown, but she has been with the current family for over 25 years. She is used to being secure and outdoors during the warm weather and inside at night. She hibernates each year and as far as we know she enjoys a fresh wild diet. She also lays eggs after coming out of hibernation each year, so you will have to be alert and provide her with a suitable nesting area when the time comes.

If you would be interested in offering Spiff the perfect home, please send details and, if possible, photos of relevant setups (indoors and outdoors), plus any other information that you feel will be relevant (for example past experience, species of tortoise currently kept, etc.) to Nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk and we will pass your replies on to the owner, who will get back to you a.s.a.p.

Nina
[attachment=0]Spiff.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Spiff.jpg

Sian

Re: Spiff -- Hermann's Tortoise needs a new home

Post by Sian » 06 Feb 2019, 20:01

Hi Nina - would Spiff be suitable for a beginner (with the support of a Herman’s owner (me) & my lovely tortoise mummy friend Dee? I’ve just been chatting to a local lady who dearly wants a tortoise & I recommended adopting rather than buying a baby. She may well pop up on here but I thought I’d check this lovely tort out before suggesting her. Siân x

Nina

Post by Nina » 06 Feb 2019, 20:55

Hi Sian. Great to hear from you (by the way, did you ever sort out the dust problem that you asked about a while ago?).

We've had a good handful of applications (mostly through our Facebook page) from some experienced tortoise keepers, but we are always open to a new keeper rehoming a tortoise. If your lady wants to apply, she does need to answer (as best she can) the questions regarding what sort of indoor and outdoor accommodation she would provide. It is great that you and Dee will be supporting her. I can't remember, but is this the Dee that I know, who lives near Buckingham? If so send her my good wishes and I hope her brood are doing well. If your friend does want to apply she should just send an email to me at nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk.
Cheers,
Nina

Sian

Post by Sian » 06 Feb 2019, 21:55

Thanks Nina

Yes, it’s Buckingham Dee - we live next door to each other! It’s probably too early for Spiff but Kate (the hopeful owner) is coming over to see my set up next week and hopefully Dee’s as well. Jack is hibernating at the moment bless him. I changed his substrate back to small pellets (which he was brought up on for years) and he seems to like them - he’s definitely a climber not a digger. Much less dust & happier husband! X

Nina

Re: Spiff -- Hermann's Tortoise needs a new home -- UPDATE

Post by Nina » 07 Feb 2019, 16:55

We've now received sufficient applications to rehome Spiff. Many of the applications were of very high calibre, and so we request that no more are sent. We will post updates and let you know when a new home is found, and thanks so much for your interest.

Nina

REHOMED -- Hermann's Tortoise needs a new home

Post by Nina » 16 Feb 2019, 15:42

Spiff's owner has now selected on of the applicants to give Spiff her forever home, and she has asked us to thank all of the people who applied to rehome her. The standard of applications was incredibly high, so the decision wasn't an easy one. Many thanks to all of you who showed interest and who offered to rehome Spiff.