Ibera hatchlings

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
Summerangel

Ibera hatchlings

Post by Summerangel » 14 Aug 2017, 11:54

Hope it wok to put these pictures up of my hatchlings. They hatched last week.
My female always lays fairly large eggs, so they hatchlings are a good weight when they hatch. 15 grams.
Attachments
IMG_5888.JPG
IMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG
Julia

Summerangel

Re: Ibera hatchlings

Post by Summerangel » 14 Aug 2017, 11:55

[attachment=0]IMG_5889.JPG[/attachment]
Bath time this morning.
Attachments
IMG_5889.JPG
Julia

lin

Post by lin » 14 Aug 2017, 12:37

OMG - What beautys. I am gobsmacked at them and just cant believe how adorable they are.
Thanks so much for sharing, its really made my day.
Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Aug 2017, 15:36

They are absolutely gorgeous! You've obviously provided your tortoises with such a good environment that they producing really healthy babies! Thanks so much for letting us see the photos. Do you get babies each year, and if so what happens to them (i.e. do you keep them or do they go to new homes)?

Nina

Summerangel

Post by Summerangel » 14 Aug 2017, 20:38

lin wrote:
> OMG - What beautys. I am gobsmacked at them and just cant believe how
> adorable they are.
> Thanks so much for sharing, its really made my day.
> Lin

[quote=Nina post_id=789 time=1502721385 user_id=52]
They are absolutely gorgeous! You've obviously provided your tortoises with such a good environment that they producing really healthy babies! Thanks so much for letting us see the photos. Do you get babies each year, and if so what happens to them (i.e. do you keep them or do they go to new homes)?

Nina
[/quote]

Thank you ladies, my female is dark herself so most of her hatchlings are dark, with the odd light one thrown in...

I haven't incubated for a few years, what with DEFRA changing the chipping age :roll:
But this year I've decided to incubate and grow them on, so they will be older when they go.
Saying that, I don't let them go to any home. I make sure they do / or have done their research first , that's if I don't keep them! Lol :D

My female laid two clutches this year. I didn't see her lay the first clutch and broke some of them. But I saw her lay her second clutch and carefully dug them up. So I still have 7 eggs left to hatch.
But on candling I found twins in one egg. This is the first time for me and i understand that this doesn't always end in a happy ending.
Here's some pictures of the twin egg
[attachment=1]IMG_5891.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]IMG_5890.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_5890.JPG
IMG_5891.JPG
Julia

Summerangel

Post by Summerangel » 14 Aug 2017, 20:44

These next two pictures are of the same egg candled on the same day.
The embryo on the right is bigger than the left one, so things are not looking good for the little one/s

Right embryo
[attachment=1]IMG_5893.JPG[/attachment]

Left embryo
[attachment=0]IMG_5892.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_5892.JPG
Right embryo
IMG_5893.JPG
Left embryo
Julia

lin

Post by lin » 14 Aug 2017, 21:56

Oh my. Wonderful detailed photos and as you say an unusual event isn't always a good outcome but, its not always bad either so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope nature is on their side. I am sure you are more than up to the job of seeing them through this and I cant wait to see more photos of the little ones especially these babies.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 14 Aug 2017, 22:18

Thanks so much for posting those amazing photos, Julia! I hope others have a look at this thread because there are not only photos of twins in an egg, but also of such lovely outdoor enclosures. Please let us know what happens with the twins (lol and I think that Lin and Nina would make great names for those babies 8-)

Nina xx

Summerangel

Post by Summerangel » 15 Aug 2017, 08:21

[quote=lin post_id=793 time=1502744191 user_id=53]
Oh my. Wonderful detailed photos and as you say an unusual event isn't always a good outcome but, its not always bad either so lets keep our fingers crossed and hope nature is on their side. I am sure you are more than up to the job of seeing them through this and I cant wait to see more photos of the little ones especially these babies.

Lin
[/quote][quote=Nina post_id=794 time=1502745533 user_id=52]
Thanks so much for posting those amazing photos, Julia! I hope others have a look at this thread because there are not only photos of twins in an egg, but also of such lovely outdoor enclosures. Please let us know what happens with the twins (lol and I think that Lin and Nina would make great names for those babies 8-)

Nina xx
[/quote]

Thank you Lin and Nina, I'm hoping it will be a happy ending, time will tell. They have a few weeks to go, so not too long to wait.
I'll definitely share some pictures with you when they hatch.
Haha @ Nina, they are very nice names :D
Julia