New Horsfield

Post your pictures and any questions here of European tortoises e.g. Ibera Spur Thigh, Ibera Graeca, Marginated, Hermanns, Kleinmanni and we include the Horsfield tortoise. Also, do add pictures of Mediterranean tortoises you have seen in the wild.
Andydobx

New Horsfield

Post by Andydobx » 10 May 2017, 18:07

Hi,

After a few months of research and planning we picked up our 10 month old Horsfield at the weekend.I've attached some photos taken when we arrived home. I have one question please about his shell. Iv'e noticed that his rear marginal scutes curl outwards, is that normal, on some other photos I've seen they seem to grow straight downwards. Please can I have your comments?

Thanks

Andy
Attachments
First bath.jpg
exploring.jpg
First feed.jpg

Elaine

Re: New Horsfield

Post by Elaine » 10 May 2017, 19:38

Hi Andy,

Welcome to TTT.

What a beautiful little tortoise. All tortoises have their own "finger print" of a shell, this looks very healthy to me.

You should take a yearly picture of the plastron and carapace as this will be his individual ID.

Hth
Elaine
Elaine on behalf of The Tortoise Table (T.T.T.).

Bigjoe

Post by Bigjoe » 10 May 2017, 19:47

Agree Elaine beautiful little Horsfield and shell looks fine..Andy excellent use of a towel during soaking ,gives the little guy traction rather than scrambleing about on a flat surface.
Joe

Andydobx

Post by Andydobx » 10 May 2017, 20:06

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. Forgot to mention, we've called him Turbo.

Yeah the towel/facecloth really helps, he scrambled around for the first few seconds but calmed down as soon as we put it in.

He's still settling in yet, I'm sure I'll have more questions tp follow.

Thanks
Andy

lin

Post by lin » 11 May 2017, 00:14

Fire away with the questions Andy. Thats what we're here for.
Turbo is so cute.

Lin