What to feed your Tortoise

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
Nash

Post by Nash » 01 Apr 2017, 16:38

Hi I am about to get new Tortoises for the first time ever, and Im a bit concious on what I have to feed them. They are 2 Leopard Tortoises. I have researched, and gone onto many different websites but they are all telling me different things. It would be a great help if you could tell me what I can feed them. They are also round about one year old.

Elaine

Re: What to feed your Tortoise

Post by Elaine » 01 Apr 2017, 20:20

Hi Nash,
Welcome to TTT.

It's refreshing that you are doing your research before they arrive.

I use to keep Leopards, they are very charasmatic tortoises so you will enjoy your new arrivals I'm sure.

Their diet should be 80% grass and 20% flowers and weeds. Ensure you add calcium daily as well as leaving cuttlefish within the enclosure to allow for self topping up.

A good idea that I used was growing grasses in cat litter trays as they are quite deep. Drill the bottom for drainage. If you can grow say seven and just change each day. That way they don't dry out nor get over grazed.

Please post pictures when they arrive and feel free to ask away.

Elaine
Elaine on behalf of The Tortoise Table (T.T.T.).

lin

Post by lin » 01 Apr 2017, 20:31

Hi Nash.
I agree totally with what Elaine is saying about the leopard diet. So many people think its better to give them nice colourful flowers in bulk and they really do do better with a mainly grazing diet.
Hope we get to see photos of them when they arrive.

Lin

Nash

Post by Nash » 01 Apr 2017, 22:22

Thank you for the replies guys will defonatley do that. :D

DinaHaines

Post by DinaHaines » 12 Mar 2018, 05:37

The diet should be at least 70% grasses and hay. Not surprisingly, given its preference for grassland habitats the Leopard tortoise grazes, extensively upon mixed grasses weeds, and flowers. It also favors the fruit and pads of the prickly pear (Opuntia sp.), succulents and thistles. "Meat" foods should never be given to Leopard tortoises because it can lead to excessive growth, high blood-urea levels, kidney/liver problems, and bladder stones.

MichaelCoela

Post by MichaelCoela » 04 Jul 2018, 18:33

Just wondering what dry foods people feed their cichlids.

Mine seem to go made for prima but they dont seem to be growing much....

Although saying that the catfish are growing like mad on it.