My new Horsfield won’t eat

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
Cazzi

My new Horsfield won’t eat

Post by Cazzi » 19 Mar 2018, 23:43

I’m really worried we brought her home yesterday. She has not eaten a thing
Is this normal while she is settling in. Xx
Many Thanks

lin

Re: My new Horsfield won’t eat

Post by lin » 20 Mar 2018, 00:09

Hi Cazzi and how lovely for you to get a horsfield.

I would say it is quite normal for a new tortoise not to eat for a good few days, but that is providing everything regarding his enclosure is perfect. You can if you like pop up a photo of how your keeping him, the temperatures at the hot and cold end of his enclosure, the diet you are offering, are you bathing him.
How old is he and where did you get him, he may need a worm test. Dont panic though as I am sure its because he is so new.
Have a read of the care and husbandry article we have -- http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tort ... tine-care/
And you might like to go through some of the database where we show lots of plants that are good for your new baby.
Get back to us if you have any more worries or questions Cazzi.

Lin

Cazzi

Post by Cazzi » 27 Mar 2018, 21:08

Hiya we have had her 9 days now
We have a vet appointment tomorrow. As she has had one bite of her food. Very worrying
Also when we got her she had a closed eye. Which she opens after a bath so hopefully vet can make her feel happy to eat

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Mar 2018, 22:21

Hi Cazzi,

It's good to hear from you and thanks for letting us know about the appointment with a vet tomorrow, and I hope it goes well. Is your vet a reptile vet, with an interest in 'exotics'? It's important that a vet has had training in the care of reptiles (not all of them do).

Can I ask how you are keeping her? Is she in a tortoise table or a vivarium (glass and wood box), and what are the temperatures at the hot end and the cool end of her enclosure. Temperature is incredibly important for tortoises (they don't make their own body heat like we do, but are completely dependent on heat from outside sources), so you want a temperature of around 30C directly under the heat source, at the height of the tortoise's shell (not measured by a thermometer on a nearby wall, but one held directly under the lamp), and then a temperature of around 20C at the cool end. This enables them to wander from warm to cool places to regulate their own body temperature. If it is way too hot or way too cold then they will be sluggish and won't eat. Sometimes it only takes a slight tweaking to bring about a big change, so if you send us a photo of her enclosure we might be able to suggest some small changes.

That is great that you are giving her baths, as it is very important that even if she isn't eating she is well hydrated. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with her and she will be right as rain soon, and please let us know how you get on at the vets. Do try and take a sample of her poo with you (although if she hasn't been eating then she might not be pooing), so that the vet can test it for parasites. Also, what species is she? If you let us know then we can send you a care sheet for that species.

Good luck and fingers crossed that it goes really well tomorrow.

Nina