Lawn grass

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
TortyPerson

Lawn grass

Post by TortyPerson » 14 Mar 2022, 16:37

We've started taking Gonzales for walks in the garden and were surprised to see him absolutely chowing down grass. He's a Spur thighed Greek tortoise and our lawn hasn't been sprayed or treated in any way for at least 5 years. Is this OK?

Thanks,

TP

Nina

Re: Lawn grass

Post by Nina » 15 Mar 2022, 09:22

Hi TP,

That's no problem at all. I have two Horsfields, and according to most guides they don't eat grass, and they never did fancy grass until about three years ago when they suddenly developed a taste for it, and they will happily eat grass for hours now. There is no lawn grass in their outdoor enclosure (only some clumps of ornamental grass, which they ignore), but the sun doesn't get to their enclosure until about 10 a.m., so I put them out on the sunny lawn and they happily munch away and walk around grazing. I have to move them every now and then because they eat it right down to the ground and leave bare spots, but in general it works OK. I have no idea why they suddenly have developed a taste for grass, but it hasn't done them any harm and it's perfectly fine for them.

Nina

TortyPerson

Post by TortyPerson » 16 Mar 2022, 10:55

Thanks Nina, great news

laurat

Post by laurat » 23 Jul 2022, 19:49

Is lawn grass ok for Hermann’s too?

Nina

Post by Nina » 23 Jul 2022, 21:05

Yes, absolutely fine -- as long as it hasn't had any pesticides or lots of fertilizer on it. My Horsfields never touched grass until about three years ago when they suddenly developed a taste for it, and now they would happily munch all day if allowed. I've put them to work though. Where the grass spills onto a path that goes through the garden, I used to use an edging tool to clip it neatly, and now I just put the tortoises on the path, facing the lawn, and they clip the edges for me! :)

Nina

laurat

Post by laurat » 06 Aug 2022, 10:39

Your own personal lawn mower!!!!! :D

Nina

Post by Nina » 06 Aug 2022, 12:13

Absolutely! Unfortunately unlike sheep and some other animals who leave a bit of grass growing when they are grazing, tortoises just eat it all the way down to bare earth if given the chance, so I often just move these little lawnmowers on periodically so that I don't have bare patches everywhere.

laurat wrote:
> Your own personal lawn mower!!!!! :D