Plants

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
Amber10

Plants

Post by Amber10 » 24 Mar 2021, 18:38

Hi is there a printable list for easy to grow plants/weeds for a balanced diet for a Hermann's tortoise.
Thanks

lin

Re: Plants

Post by lin » 25 Mar 2021, 11:47

Hi Amber.
We do not have a printable list for edible plants but what you could do is use the filter we have in the plant database.
It works like this...
How to Use the Traffic Light Filters

Once in the plant database -- for example the Wildflower section -- at the top of the page you will see our ‘traffic light’ box filters all ticked.

1. If you untick the amber-red (Sparingly) and red (Do Not Feed) filter boxes, by clicking on them, leaving only the green (Feed) and amber-green (Moderation) boxes ticked, the only entries you will see from then on are for plants that you can safely feed. If you leave only the red box ticked you will see only unsafe plants, etc. These filters will apply to any of the other categories you go into during that particular session on the computer.

2. In the list of entries that appear in your filtered list, it is good practice to click on ‘See more’ in any entry to view detailed information relating to that plant. It will also show you the plant symbols indicating which parts of the plant that you can feed – leaves or flowers -- as well as providing you with a selection of photos to help with identification.

So if you tick the green filter you can jot down a list of the plants that shows, and do the same with the amber green to show all those that are a moderate feed, making your own list of suitable plants that are edible for all tortoises.

There is also our booklets that has the plants that are all edible freely or in moderation and details of these can be found in the menu above, in the link for ‘Booklets’.
Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Lin

Amber10

Post by Amber10 » 25 Mar 2021, 17:29

Thank you I will get my mum to help me :D

Noah101

Post by Noah101 » 24 Nov 2023, 04:11

Certainly! Here is a printable list of easy-to-grow plants and weeds that can provide a balanced diet for a Hermann's tortoise:
Dandelion greens
Plantain
Mulberry leaves
Hibiscus flowers
Clover
Nasturtium leaves
Chickweed
Purslane
Red clover
Lamb's lettuce
:lol:

polinkuer12

Post by polinkuer12 » 17 Jan 2024, 09:42

Noah101 wrote:
> Certainly! Here is a printable list of easy-to-grow plants and weeds that
> can provide a balanced diet for a Hermann's tortoise:
> Dandelion greens
> Plantain
> Mulberry leaves
> Hibiscus flowers
> Clover
> Nasturtium leaves
> Chickweed
> Purslane
> Red clover
> Lamb's lettuce
> :lol:
Very helpful list. thank you for sharing

aquamarin

Post by aquamarin » 16 Feb 2024, 16:06

I just wanted to say that this topic has helped me out a bunch with my pet, Thanks Lin. Hope he'll enjoy it when I put this new knoledge in action :D