Dried Hibiscus leaves?

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
Lucre

Dried Hibiscus leaves?

Post by Lucre » 12 Aug 2020, 12:28

Hello everyone!

A quick question for you...

I am looking for advice on how to dry leaves of my tropical hibiscus (and other plants). Bamboo likes it but he would eat just the base of the flower, leaving the beautiful flower leaves, which they will be thrown away after the day is over.

I think that it’s a waste, because it’s a big flower for them. I know about dried hibiscus leaves to make tea, but I don’t have anything such as driers or fancy stuff. I placed today’s leaves between two pieces of paper towel and I place it under direct sunlight.

I just think they will wither and rot at some point but tell me if I’m doing it ok, so that I can place some dandelions flowers, plantain and other leaves too!

Thanks!
Lucre

lin

Re: Dried Hibiscus leaves?

Post by lin » 12 Aug 2020, 13:40

What you are doing should work fine Lucre. I would even say if there is no wind just under direct sunlight without the top cover will work too. It can also be done with most of the feed flowers and weeds but make sure they are super dry and crispy, and with the fatter flowers like the dandelions it would be better to remove the petals and break open the thick part of the bud to make drying right through easier.
It can also be done in an oven but if you have the hot sun then do all you can for winter feeding.
Once dry they can be stored in polythene bags or glass jars but do make sure no moisture can get in, and they are compleately dry.

Lin

Lucre

Post by Lucre » 12 Aug 2020, 14:59

Yeah here is boiling hot!
In fact Bamboo and Rigel are out just in the morning to sunbathe and late afternoon for a walk, and they they will go in the shades to sleep or to wait until it gets colder.

Oh, and I have to show you the new house I made for them!
I added some Boston Ferns one the left so that there is a little shade in the middle of their enclosure.

Im trying to dehydrate plantain leaves too and I’ll share a pic when this will be done.
Attachments
096F3161-E330-4F81-8BC5-45AA0E91E531.jpeg

lin

Post by lin » 12 Aug 2020, 16:51

Thats a great idea for the little ones to get them outside. A wet cloth also helps in this weather by pinning it sight over a corner so that it does not drape allowing them something to climb.
Keep topping up the water too as it also gets hot.

Thanks for sharing.

Lin