Diet concerns

This forum covers all aspects of tortoise diet and nutrition, including mineral and vitamin supplementation and foods appropriate for different species.
Summerills

Diet concerns

Post by Summerills » 28 Jun 2020, 18:53

Hi
So I have a couple of questions as I get my head round suitable diet for Fergus.
I have managed to find a good variety of safe food around and about and have offered Fergus a selection each day, but he will only eat lettuce or dandelion and the occasional campanula flower but generally isn’t eating much at all. Maybe one or 2 small leaves a day. Should I be worried or is this just him settling in? I see pictures that others post with piles of food but he wouldn’t go for anything like that.
He’s had a bath each day (he does not like this!) and often wees and poo’s in it so I can see that his poo is a little too soft, not formed. He has urates in his wee which are a little gritty hence the daily baths. He doesn’t really drink from his water bowls.
I’m not sure how to get more food into him, or even if I need to. If I leave a pile in his run then it just wilts but he won’t show much interest in it when I put it in. He’ll take a mouthful as he wanders past and come back to it next time round, but has only once or twice sat and devoured a whole leaf.
He is sleeping a fair amount but has a good 3 or 4 hours of busy activity a day, more if I can get him outside.

Do I just need to relax and stop watching his every move or am I missing a trick?!

Attached is a photo of his favourite sleeping position just for fun!
Attachments
05B9D904-0171-4B7D-BCC5-6A41B84F126B.jpeg

Nina

Re: Diet concerns

Post by Nina » 28 Jun 2020, 19:20

Hi Nic,

Love the photo! I think he might just be settling in, so try and relax (lol, easy to say, but I know I couldn't do it), and keep up the baths. We've already discussed the temperatures, so I know you're got those sorted now.

Some tortoises can be really picky and can develop fads and strong likes and dislikes (and lettuce is a strong like but not that nutritious). Have a read of this article on how to introduce a healthier diet: https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... vjfHed7m9s Of course if he isn't eating much of anything then it's harder to trick him into eating the good stuff, but see what you think.

Nina

Summerills

Post by Summerills » 28 Jun 2020, 19:25

Thanks Nina
I was reading the article as you replied!
I wonder if I am just watching him too much :lol:

I will try and relax a little and give him some space...

Thanks again for bearing with me! Can’t say how grateful I am for all your help and advice!

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Jun 2020, 20:27

You'll be fine, Nic -- and so will Fergus! We've all been through this. I can't tell you how nervous and stressed I was when I first got Boris (lol, who is now called Doris and lays eggs every year). And it was some really kind tortoise keepers on forums that I went on at the time who encouraged me and were supportive. Just keep asking questions and letting us know if you have concerns -- that's what we're here for.

Nina

isabelle

Post by isabelle » 30 Jun 2020, 13:00

Just jumping in to say how sweet that sleeping picture is - what a character! :)

Summerills

Post by Summerills » 01 Jul 2020, 07:36

Thanks Isabelle. That is pretty much the only view I get of him at the moment- it’s the “bum in air” pose!!