Hibernate or Overwinter

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
KellyP

Hibernate or Overwinter

Post by KellyP » 27 Sep 2018, 18:11

Hi All

Yet again I am getting myself into a bit of a pickle. There is soooooo much varying information about hibernation vs overwintering. Some places say no need to hibernate at all anymore and others say it is natural so must be done (unless there are specific health reasons etc).

My two horsfields are 8 months old and I just don't know what to do. I have only had them for 3 weeks and my gut is saying to overwinter them because firstly I'm not 100% sure of what to do and secondly many places say they are two young (logical part of my brain is saying but they mist hibernate in the wild even when young).

So if overwintering, how on earth do I keep them awake. Well actually one of them is extremely active still - has been bombing around the table and the front room today and not sleeping a lot. The other is sleeping all of the time and I wonder whether she is aestivating (is that the right word) or trying to undertake early stages of hibernation.

I am really getting a little disheartened and unconfident with it ll - there is so much mixed information - don't use this substrate, don't use that light bulb, don't feed this food, don't do this and that. But all of it conflicts.

I wish the breeder had told us that looking after tortoises was actually quite complicated instead of saying it was really easy and no problem at all. So annoyed but determined to do the best by them but no idea what information is correct.

Nina

Re: Hibernate or Overwinter

Post by Nina » 27 Sep 2018, 19:01

Hi Kelly,

I'm afraid I'm just about to go out, and maybe Lin will come in with more information, but here are my thoughts.
8 months is not too young to hibernate, but if you have only have them for a short time then I would overwinter them, as you won't know them well enough to be able to judge if they are off colour in any way, and it is important that tortoise are completely healthy before they hibernate.

We have an article on our website about overwintering here https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... 60asfZReM8 It can be difficult to keep them awake, as many species have a strong urge to hibernate, but we will help you all we can.

Sorry this is so short, but I'm late for my class and I'm sure that Lin will come in with more advice.

You're right that it is not as easy as people say to look after tortoises, and we have all been through what you are going through now. You will be an absolutely brilliant tortoise keeper, because we can see that you want the best for your tortoises and are asking lots of questions -- which is grreat. So don't be disheartened -- we will help you all we can, and it does actually get easier!

Best wishes,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 27 Sep 2018, 20:50

I have to say Kelly, that I do disagree with Nina in that tortoises are easy to care for once we have their husbandry in order they practically do it themselves :lol:
Just thibk back to the wild in their care, food and subatrate. Replicate what we can and do our best for what is impossible to replicate, like the UV we offer via a bulb will be nothing compared to the real sun of the Mediterranean.

However I do wholeheartedly agree with all the other things she is saying about the hibernation. Ask questions, as many as you like and do not take on board what people say until you feel 100% it is the correct advise.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Sep 2018, 21:39

Sorry, Kelly -- when I said that looking after tortoises wasn't as easy as people say, I meant that some people say it is easy and think that all you have to do with a tortoise is chuck it in the garden and it will tend to itself, and that isn't the case at all. But once you have all the right information and know what is required, and have the right equipment then it is, as Lin says, not difficult. If you have the right enclosure for them, the right lights, the right temperature gradient, and a good diet, then it all falls into place and they are a joy to keep.

Nina

KellyP

Post by KellyP » 28 Sep 2018, 07:54

Thanks Ladies - was having a chat with a really helpful lady on fb messenger yesterday and think will be chucking out of my mind everything have been told when I bought them and starting again, the first thing being trying to cobble some money together to get a bigger table.

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Sep 2018, 09:46

Hi Kelly

I know it is really frustrating to be told not to panic -- but don't panic and don't lose heart! I can send you a good care sheet for Horsfields, but I think it might be a good idea if we had a chat on the phone (so much easier than lots of tooing and froing with posts). I will send you my phone number by private mail (or you can send me yours to nina@thetortoisetable.org.uk) and I can reassure you and we can sort this out. I know exactly where you are coming from, as I was in the same position many years ago -- confused, worried, not sure which advice was correct etc. Please don't worry, as it isn't as bad as you think.

Nina

KellyP wrote:
> Thanks Ladies - was having a chat with a really helpful lady on fb
> messenger yesterday and think will be chucking out of my mind everything
> have been told when I bought them and starting again, the first thing being
> trying to cobble some money together to get a bigger table.