What to feed my horsfield

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Lisa*

What to feed my horsfield

Post by Lisa* » 07 Aug 2018, 23:40

:?

Lisa*

Re: What to feed my horsfield

Post by Lisa* » 07 Aug 2018, 23:41

I have recently just bought a horsefield tortoise and I’m really stuck on things I can feed him, can anyone give me any ideas.

Nina

Re: What to feed my horsfield

Post by Nina » 08 Aug 2018, 08:36

Hi Lisa, and many congratulations on getting your Horsfield tortoise! I keep Horsfields and they have great personalities. Tortoises need a high fibre and low protein diet, and not fruit for Horsfields (as their digestive system doesn't cope well with the sugar in fruit). So weeds, various leaves and flowers are the best thing, and you probably have lots of plants in your garden or nearby that will be fine -- dandelion, plantain, sowthistle, campanula, etc.

If you go to our website and into any category of the Plant Database https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/ (for example, Wildflowers or Garden and House Plants) you will see a row of coloured boxes with ticks in them along the top. If you untick the red and amber-red boxes (by clicking on them), only leaving the green and amber-green boxes ticked, then all the plants you will see in any category during that session are ones that can be fed. If you click on the short entries you see after clicking on the boxes, you will get the full entry with more detail and symbols to show you which part of the plant can be fed (leaves, flowers, etc.).

Here is a link to a care sheet for Horsfields that will give you more information:
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf

If you are having any problems at all then just contact us an we're here to help -- either on this forum, our Facebook page, or directly by email at
contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk

Cheers
Nina