strange behaviour

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
maddy83

strange behaviour

Post by maddy83 » 21 Apr 2017, 18:41

My nine year old horsefield male has been indoors all winter he has been very active and ate a lot even tho it was store bought food .but for this last couple of weeks he has not been very active and not showing much interest in his food even tho I have been putting dandelions etc in his food dish .he wants to sleep a lot more .I have had him out in the sun when it was warm enough.I didn't have him last winter so I cant compare .I have only had him since last August .Has anyone any ideas why he is acting this way .I bath him at least three times a week

lin

Re: strange behaviour

Post by lin » 21 Apr 2017, 22:59

Hi Maddy.

Well if the weather has been as cold near you as it is where I am then I would say that is the reason why he is behaving like he is.
It might just be the change in temps from inside under his lamps on a cozy table and then taken outside where the temp drop is a bit much and he starts to chill.
I would keep an eye on him for a day or two and as long as there are no bubbles from his nose or wheezing then he will be fine.
Hopefully the team will join in with their thoughts too.

Lin

maddy83

Post by maddy83 » 22 Apr 2017, 08:48

lin wrote:
> Hi Maddy.
>
> Well if the weather has been as cold near you as it is where I am then I
> would say that is the reason why he is behaving like he is.
> It might just be the change in temps from inside under his lamps on a cozy
> table and then taken outside where the temp drop is a bit much and he
> starts to chill.
> I would keep an eye on him for a day or two and as long as there are no
> bubbles from his nose or wheezing then he will be fine.
> Hopefully the team will join in with their thoughts too.
>
> Lin
Thank you Lin but he is still indoors in his table .but there are no bubbles or wheezing so perhaps its just a phase he is going thro .I will keep my eye on him

Nina

Post by Nina » 22 Apr 2017, 09:03

Hi Maddy,

As Lin says, he's probably fine, but it doesn't hurt to check the temperature under his lamp, at tortoise shell height (it should be about 30C and not too much higher) -- as a thermometer on a nearby wall doesn't give a true reading. Also, if he doesn't perk up within the next week or so, it isn't a bad idea to get him checked out by a good reptile/exotics vet (not an ordinary vet). Do you have a good one near you? We have a list of UK vets under the Health heading that is at the menu at the top of this page, and if you can't find one near you, let us know and we can have a look round for you.

And if you do go, be sure to take a relatively fresh sample of poo with you (it can be kept in the fridge in a sealed container overnight if necessary) so that he can check for parasites. Worms are fairly common and can easily be got rid of, but a heavy load can sometimes result in lethargy and lack of appetite.

Nina