Saying Hi

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Bex

Re: Saying Hi

Post by Bex » 16 Mar 2017, 22:09

Nina wrote:
16 Mar 2017, 21:47
LOL -- great idea for the re-sizing, Bex! I'm sending all of my photos to Lin in future . . . .. <ducks>. Am just going to check out the photos in the indoor section.

Nina

Sorry Lin :shock:

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Mar 2017, 22:16

That's quite a story -- and what an amazing and generous person you are! You've give good homes to two tortoises now, which is fantastic. Sadly your story (being sold an expensive and inappropriate vivarium, etc. is so common that it's heartbreaking. Tiny looks so happy with his prized dandelion.

What substrate are you using in his table, Bex? I just ask because it looks like wood chip, and Tiny would probably be even better off with a topsoil and playsand mixture for a couple of reasons -- wood chip can get damp and mouldy, and if one of your bulbs should burst and hot fragments fall to the floor then the wood chip is a fire hazard (we know of one case where it did catch fire). Plus a soil substrate is just more natural for them. But the fact that he was lethargic when you saw him in the pet shop and he is obviously full of live now shows just how much you have improved his environment.

Nina

Bex

Post by Bex » 16 Mar 2017, 22:50

Yes thanks to reading your old forum Tiny has a new table too, will post a pic 2moro and I don't feed him tomatoes anymore! I am now using topsoil/sand, pebbles and a small amount of wood chip (pic will explain) :geek:

Bex

Post by Bex » 16 Mar 2017, 22:56

Just re-read that and removing wood chip 2moro! Totally didn't think it cud catch fire :(