Pinworm

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Bex

Pinworm

Post by Bex » 29 Mar 2017, 10:28

Got Speedy's worm count back, he's got a high reading of pinworm :( Can I treat him with a shop brought product or have I got to go to a vets?

lin

Re: Pinworm

Post by lin » 29 Mar 2017, 11:04

Hi Bex.
IMO a vet is always the first stop and once you know whats what then you can ask the vet what you need to do in future should it be needed.
Thats just my opinion and I am sure others will come in and let you know their thoughts.

Lin

Bex

Post by Bex » 29 Mar 2017, 15:32

We are booked in for a health check and worming 2moro morning... Will let you know how we get on :geek:

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 29 Mar 2017, 17:29

Hi Bex,
When you are there ask your vet to show you how to administer the wormer for future treatments.
Elaine
Elaine on behalf of The Tortoise Table (T.T.T.).

Bex

Post by Bex » 30 Mar 2017, 21:57

What a morning! Vet appt 10.15, we went in on time and came out at 11.35 lol... Speedy & Tiny both successfully wormed without sedation, but not sure if it would of been easier to sedate Speedy, my god she is strong!! Also think Tiny is female too :) Poor vet had very sore fingers bless her and looked worn out after! Both tortoises poo'd and wee'd whilst being checked, it was a good thing tho cos she said it all looked healthy.

I honestly don't think I'll be able to do it myself, will get them done regularly and big thank you for suggesting to get them checked.

Vet was happy with living conditions etc so another big thank you for your help with that too :) but did say bout Speedy's uv light placement which I will sort asap.

Going back for round 2 in 2 weeks lol :geek:

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 30 Mar 2017, 22:40

Sorry that it's been so stressful for all concerned

Be sure to ask for what they used and dosage.

Then when you get anymore samples sent off you may want to try feeding them with the treatment on some favourite foods if it comes back positive.

Did they say to keep on newspaper?

Be sure to give a long soak daily then all poop can be flushed away and saves your substrate.

Elaine

Bex

Post by Bex » 31 Mar 2017, 06:32

I did ask if I could buy it and put it on their food but she said it's best directed straight into the throat as deep as possible to get into the gut, she had a long plastic pipe on the end of a syringe for Speedy.
She did say cleanliness is very important etc but didn't say about newspaper, should I empty his enclosure?

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 31 Mar 2017, 13:36

You could give your vet a call and see what she recommends Bex.

When I have wormed in the past I normally do it before a deep clean. It takes me a good few days to empty my substrate so I worm, bathe daily, scoop any poop asap. Then just newspapers until the second lot is done. A few days after that big clean and new substrate in.

But I'd be interested to hear what her advise would be as there is quite a sway with regards treatments for worms now.

Elaine

Bex

Post by Bex » 01 Apr 2017, 13:14

I emailed the vet, she said as it such a large area to keep clean it would be best to lay newspaper til a week after 2nd treatment, just cleaned it all out and found old poo amongst the dirt in the sleeping area so glad I did! Will def check that area a lot more once substrate back in!

Wonder what she'll make of her new pad lol she was probably just getting used to it :geek:

The vet said cos Tiny should be OK as normal as it was an orange warning count, not red.

Thank you for helping me again Elaine, so glad I have you to guide me...gonna have a well earned coffee now cos I am worn out :|

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 01 Apr 2017, 15:50

That's really good Bex, this way it should be a very quick turn around and her gut will be clear.

Perhaps the vet will mention this to the next customer as it is a big part of the worming process. Breaking the cycle. I think because they are so use to the process that they sometimes forget that to a new keeper everything is new.

Either way now you know that all these good feeds will be going into a healthy tort and not feeding worms.

Cheers to the much earned ☕️.
Elaine

Bex

Post by Bex » 01 Apr 2017, 17:05

She doesn't seem impressed.....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 23082 times

Bex

Post by Bex » 13 Apr 2017, 12:29

Just got back from 2nd round of treatment, it went a lot smoother today, both torts were more allowing this time!

Will send off for testing again in 2 weeks to make sure all clear.

Vet said unless there's any problems she'll see them again in a year, and said worming once a year was enough, but I I will test them again September just to be sure as they will be outside a lot over the summer.

Now for that coffee.....

Elaine

Post by Elaine » 13 Apr 2017, 13:08

That's great news that not only was it less stressful for them but you too Bex. Now all that good food will be going to make them big and strong.

Job well done!

Enjoy your well earned coffee.
Elaine

Bex

Post by Bex » 27 May 2017, 18:17

Hi guys, sorry haven't been on for a while but life takes over!! Had builders in for a few weeks and it has been chaos trying to do everyday things, let alone sorting the animals and reptiles :(

Speedy's worm count came back fine but Tiny's didn't so she's had a 2nd round of treatment bless her! Also got Speedy microchipped so should she escape I have a chance of getting her back! She was not impressed and by the time I got her home she and her carrier were covered in poo :| Lovely!!

Loving all the new flowers/weeds springing up everywhere, they are both enjoying the new tastes incl mallow, bindweed, goats beard and Hawks bit... Tiny is a bit more willing to try new things, it takes speedy a cpl days to even smell them but both have been out most days enjoying the sun.

Just wanted to update you and let you know we're all good.

Bex, speedy & tiny 8-)

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 May 2017, 22:30

Hi Bex,

Great to hear from you and catch up on how Speedy and Tiny are doing! Shame about the pin worms, but hopefully after the latest treatment all will be well. Isn't it amazing how a bit of sun and a bit of rain bring all these lovely weeds out of the ground! Mine are thoroughly enjoying being outdoors, and they are eating far more than they should because everything is so lush!

Give Speedy and Tiny a nice tickle under the chin from me, and I hope you all have a great Bank Holiday weekend.

Nina

Bex

Post by Bex » 29 May 2017, 18:03

Thanks Nina, I do worry bout Tiny eating too much, she always seems to be looking for food!

Speedy isn't as bothered...chalk & cheese the pair of them lol.

Some of the mallow, dandelion, pansy and shepherds purse seeds I got have finally started to sprout so it will be interesting to see them grow, can't remember wat are wat tho...didn't label them :lol: I'm a learner 8-)

Nina

Post by Nina » 29 May 2017, 18:33

Hi Bex,

It's amazing how two tortoises, raised under the same condiions can have completely different personalities -- just like people I guess.
If you are growing the plants outdoors, then you should be able to ID them once they get a bit bigger (send us photos if you can't). If you are growing them indoors, then be sure they get as much light as possible (put them outside in the daytme if you can), as if they don't have enough light they will get long and lanky and flop over. Good luck and happy harvesting when the time comes!

Nina