Tortoises and hens

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
TortyPerson

Tortoises and hens

Post by TortyPerson » 03 May 2022, 10:56

Hello all,

We have hens and a tortoise. Currently they live separate lives - the hens wander freely in almost all areas of the lawn and the tortoise stays in his outdoor enclosure when the weather is good. This is because we don't want the hens bothering the tortoise and passing on parasites and we don't want the tortoise giving the hens salmonella.

We would love to give the tortoise more lawn as it turns out he likes to eat grass and we could fence a larger section off to keep the hens out. But their poop is everywhere. Does anybody know how long it takes hens poop (and anything harmful in it) to become harmless to tortoises? I would also like to know how long it takes tortoise poop to become harmless to hens!?

Thanks,

TP

lin

Re: Tortoises and hens

Post by lin » 03 May 2022, 15:04

Hiya TP.
Can I ask if your hens have been kept under cover while this free range ban, because of the birds flu, has been on. It was finally lifted on 1 May.
If they were then I would say it would be safe after a good hose down in the area you would like to extend to, for the tortoises. The hens and wild birds will all poop in the garden but hens poop, I should imagine, would be much more inviting as a snack to a tortoise so separation, as you are doing is essential.

Lin

TortyPerson

Re: Tortoises and hens

Post by TortyPerson » 04 May 2022, 18:22

Thanks Lin.

Yes it was their turn to be in lockdown! We still have covered shelters over the lawn to keep the wild birds separate but will be removing them now (till next time...). That's why it's covered in poop - the hens were previously living up in the field but it was too steep for the enclosures so we had to give up most of the lawn to them.

TP