Marbocyl for respiratory infection?

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
beeclaire80

Marbocyl for respiratory infection?

Post by beeclaire80 » 03 Nov 2020, 16:10

So we were back at the vet today for Floyd’s check up.

Nasal bubbles have continued intermittently so the vet has made the decision to treat with Marbocyl 1%. Now from research I know that the normal treatment is Baytil (I might have spelt that wrong).

Have you guys heard of the medication and is it ok??

Thanks

Nina

Re: Marbocyl for respiratory infection?

Post by Nina » 03 Nov 2020, 16:37

Hi Claire,
As far as I can see, both Marbocyl and Baytril are fluoroquinolone antibiotics used to treat various bacterial infections. I've had a little look and I think Marbocyl is a good choice as there are some instances (not many though) of tortoises having an allergic reaction to Baytril http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/baytril.html and in the article from this link it mentions that Andy Highfield from the Tortoise Trust has recommended Marbocyl.
The two drugs are very closely related, so there is nothing to say that a tortoise couldn't have a reaction to Marbocyl, but the only reactions I found were to Baytril, so I think it should be fine. Let us know how he gets on!

Nina

beeclaire80

Post by beeclaire80 » 03 Nov 2020, 16:43

Hi Nina,

Brilliant. Thank you! I’m trying to be good and not google!

The upside is that, although Floyd is naturally trying to wind down, he’s eating, drinking etc. So the hope is that, if this truly is a RI, that we have caught it early.

I’m struggling with his enclosure being dry, whilst I’m working from home I’m able to spray multiple times a day. Are there any tips for keeping it from drying out.

Thanks n

Nina

Post by Nina » 03 Nov 2020, 21:52

Hi Claire,

I'm really sorry, but I can't remember if you were thinking of hibernating him this year (I could look back through old threads but don't have time at the moment). I'm assuming that you aren't hibernating him, which is fine, because if you were then you would need to wait a couple of months after the antibiotic treatment before you did so. You're lucky that he is still eating, because many aren't and won't be persuaded either, so all sounds well at your house!.

Enclosures do dry out really fast indoors, and I don't rely on spraying any more (although I used to). What I do is every three or four days just pour water directly onto the substrate and mix it in really thoroughly. You have to be careful because you don't want the result to be wet at all -- it should be just the teeniest tiniest bit damp (if you take a handful of soil and close your fist it should just about start to clump together). That should last for several days. Also, I leave one area of the table pretty dry, so that they can choose. It's really important, especially as the nights get colder indoors not to have it wet, because most tortoises can handle wet and warm but they really don't do well in wet and cold -- so just barely damp is the way to go.

Nina

beeclaire80

Post by beeclaire80 » 04 Nov 2020, 06:28

Morning Nina,

No, you are right, no hibernation for us this year.

I’ll do what you suggest and try pouring a small amount of water every few days. Since changing to topsoil he’s started trying to dig, which he never did before so I’m hoping if I can get the moisture right he’ll do a bit more digging!

Take care
Claire.

beeclaire80

Post by beeclaire80 » 12 Nov 2020, 20:36

I just wanted to update.

We are on injection 5 of 8 (tomorrow) and there is already a marked improvement.

The last two days Floyd has been up within 30 minutes of his lamp going on. He’s been stomping and exploring and seeking out food. He’s then done the “normal” cycle of bask, eat, sleep, bask and then look for food again at about 4pm before tucking himself up in bed.
Attachments
B07D3355-2711-41A0-9996-408521F462CE.jpeg
E1B8B452-5F3B-454A-A1FD-50099944748E.jpeg
86E33E83-0C3C-490C-92B4-0906D52ACB62.jpeg

lin

Post by lin » 12 Nov 2020, 21:20

Hi Claire.
I am sure Nina will be along soon but I just wanted to say that is wonderful news that Floyd is on the up.
Well done for all your doing for him.
What a breakfast that it. So colourful for this time of year so its no wonder he is eating well.

Lin

beeclaire80

Post by beeclaire80 » 12 Nov 2020, 21:38

The mild weather has caused a random nasturtium to flower in my garden so I figured Floyd might enjoy it!

lin

Post by lin » 12 Nov 2020, 21:44

It looks like he more than enjoyed it. Bless.
Lin