housing sulcatas together

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
pmorillo1102

housing sulcatas together

Post by pmorillo1102 » 28 Oct 2020, 20:17

this weekend also came with the surprise of acquiring a female 5 year old Sulcata. The pet store we got our tortis from, recently has lost their license my husband questioned in our minds why so we decided to take a drive by and they were open even though they were supposed to be closed and let us in and told us of her . I initially said no until I saw she was n a 4 x 5 ft enclosure with 2 other males. They both males were huddled together while she was alone to the side and dirty. I couldn't say no so we took her and apparently dozer and her were previously housed together. shes slightly smaller than him and is currently in our spare bedroom not with him. They have interacted outside and ate along side eachother. Now my dilemma is keeping that as pairs together. I DO NOT INTEND TO BREED IAM VERY MUCH AGAINST THIS ACCROSS THE BOARED . IV heard of people freezing eggs if they do mate ? is this wrong ? WE have the means currently to keep them separate and in the future have plans already in place to build a separate enclosure on out 1.5 acre lot but obviously keeping them together would be technically easier and only considering this because they were previously housed together . I have ready many things on this being a big no no understandably for the stress on the female but I have also read some people having a positive experience and wondering your take on this. Thanks guys!

lin

Re: housing sulcatas together

Post by lin » 28 Oct 2020, 20:55

Hiya, sorry I don't know your name but can I say a big thank you for taking on and caring for this beauty of a little lady (and Dozer) Have you found a name for her yet?

In my opinion I would say yes they can be together, if the size difference isnt to much, and she will probably flourish in your care but could feel a little intimidated by him.
Are you in the UK? If so its far to cold outside for them but all that means is you might have to keep then seperate until its warm enough outside. Getting ahead of myself onto spring they could have so much space and with a few obsticles to break up the line of sight I am sure they well get along fine. Sulcatas seem to only become agitated over food or space. I always found during lockdown for the best part of 6 months in the UK they would just have strength battles of seeing who could push the hardest and strongest. Sometimes it would be quite a battle but never any injuries.
Come outside time they were as happy as Larry (whoever Larry is) because they had the space to wander and keep away from each other and they got along fine. They never mated (sometimes tried) because she would just walk off (quite comicle to see :roll: ) and if he got to close she would turn and keep out of his way until it suited her.

Feeding was always a fight with me getting injured more than the tortoises - :lol:

As for eggs. I have had eggs from the Leopards and on the day they were laid either the foxes or magpies would have them. I didnt feel the need to freeze them from day one because it wouldnt have contained anything other than yolk and albumin. Thats just me though.
If there is anything else we can do just give a shout as I love talking Sulcatas.
Heres a caresheet if you havn't got one.
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 202018.pdf

Lin

pmorillo1102

Post by pmorillo1102 » 28 Oct 2020, 21:27

Hey Lin thank you for the fast response !
My Name is Priscilla and I am in Rhode Island , USA
Thank you ! Shes also very beautiful! I have not named her yet. My husband normally does the naming ahah and we want to find out her personality first but I was thinking Penny :D .
That's hilarious! He mounted her once and she didn't seem to care or try to get away and walked over to eat more food when he was done :lol:
Okay good to know ! We are going to try it out once she becomes a little more comfortable with us and see how she will do with him together. But if it doesn't work out with them we are happy to keep her separate as well.
I guess they will both let us know :lol:
Thank you LIN!

lin

Post by lin » 28 Oct 2020, 21:44

Hi Priscilla. You are more than welcome.
Oh yes! They will let you know all right.
They are ever so gentle when one is not in the picture but as soon as one finds out the other will be very jealous and try and barge in.
Penny is a lovely name. Mine were called Sali and Mali and I sadly (still breaks my heart) had to rehome them because I was getting to old :lol: to meet their needs.
I can't wait to see some of your photos of yours as and when they settle.

Lin

pmorillo1102

Post by pmorillo1102 » 28 Oct 2020, 21:52

aww noo but very admirable of you to do that I cant imagine that being easy especially if you had them for a long time!
I will definitely post pictures soon!

lin

Post by lin » 29 Oct 2020, 12:38

Hi Pricilla.
Thank you. It is heartbreaking to have to make that decision but it is also about knowing when you have to let go. A friend said to me that no matter how long you keep them you will have to make this decision one day because you will not outlive them. I had them through about 15 years (if not more) of their lives.
Believe it or not, she is the one above showing dominance and as you can see she is slightly bigger, although she started out being smaller. And one showing size difference. :lol:
Lin

[attachment=1]sali and Mali_0016LinRob.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Sali and baby_edited_LR.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Sali and baby_edited_LR.jpg
sali and Mali_0016LinRob.JPG