Leopard

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Polly

Leopard

Post by Polly » 18 Oct 2020, 13:06

Hi there

Our 1 year old leopard iS becoming lethargic as the weather cools off. He lives indoors and I understand they do not hibernate.

Is this lethargy due to him not keeping warm enough or perhaps Just due to him not hibernating and slowing his metabolism down ??

Thanks for any advice

Nina

Re: Leopard

Post by Nina » 18 Oct 2020, 17:43

Hi Polly,

Welcome to The Tortoise Table. You are right in thinking that Leopard tortoises do not hibernate, so the most likely cause of his lethargy is that he is not warm enough. What is the temperature directly under his heat source and at the height of his shell (a thermometer on a nearby wall will not give you an accurate reading). Can you send us a photo of his set-up -- it might just need a few tweaks, but knowing the temperature is the most important thing. You are aiming for a temperature of 30C directly under the lamp at the height of his shell, and about 20C at the cooler end, and if the room gets very cold at night then you might need some supplementary heating so that it doesn't drop below about 15C or 16C.

When the ambient temperature in a room is cold then that does affect the temperature in your enclosure, so you might need to lower the lamp so that it is a bit closer to the ground in order to increase the temperature (and the same happens in the summer if the room is hot then you need to raise the lamp to lower the temperature in the enclosure).

I'm sure we can find the reason for this, so looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 18 Oct 2020, 21:24

Hi and welcome from me too Polly

Can I add to Nina's good advise and say that these African species of tortoise do need a very bright light level. The lighter the better in the whole area not just around the table you have it in, because we are trying to replicate the African sun.
Leopards are such a wonderful tortoise that really do appreceiate being treated like a member of royalty.

Lin

Polly

Post by Polly » 22 Oct 2020, 11:15

Hi all

I have attached photos of his habitat and have taken heat measurements under the lamp (at shell level) which is 32 degrees and at the food and water station it is 18-19 degrees.

His lamp is on for 12 hours in total with an hours break during that period

He doesn’t seem to want to move to the lamp when it is on and unless moved sits in the door of his sleeping area most of the time only venturing out to occasionally eat

He is bathed and taken out of his home to bathe almost every day

Am I doing this all wrong ??
Attachments
0C4380EF-D17A-43D8-9664-94AE9EBECE32.jpeg
A026EB41-DDDA-4155-9D31-E8937F1F9EE7.jpeg

lin

Post by lin » 22 Oct 2020, 19:25

Hiya Polly

Can I ask what lights, both heat and UVB you are using.
I am thinking its quite dark in the area and although he is wanting to get up its just something not quite right for him. You are not doing it all wrong at all and it needs a tweak and things will fall into place.
What is the temp of the room, or around where the table is?
You can up the hours of light to 14 hours and there does not need to be a break at all as he will start to think its bedtime and look for somewhere dark to go.
If you leave him sitting in the doorway will he definately stay there all the time. Is it possible he is just biding his time and will come out later on when its brighter outside.

I do think you will notice a difference if the ambient temps are good and the light is much brighter. Remember we are trying to recreate the brightness they should see in Africa.

Sorry for all the questions but we will get there.

Lin

Polly

Post by Polly » 24 Oct 2020, 08:56

Hi lin

Thank you for your advice so far

When we got our little munchkin the setup was complete with a 100 watt uvb/heat lamp which we found to be too hot during the summer months and we could not raise it enough to cool it. We were advised to reduce this to a 70 watt which was a little cooler and worked. As the weather has cooled off we have returned to the 100 watt bulb and this now provides the temperatures I have sent to you.

The ambient temperature in the room around the tables is currently not dropping below 16 degrees even overnight when the lamp is off.

Do we need to get a different type of light to provide more light and a better temperature across the whole table and if this is the case could you suggest a type and where this could be purchased ?

Your further advice would be appreciated
Thanks

lin

Post by lin » 24 Oct 2020, 13:56

Hiya. Pleased you found what I sent useful.
I really do have a hunch this lighting is not bright enough for a leopard. They need a good level of lighting and the brighter it is the better. Think African because that is where these babies originate from. They need lots of calcium and UV to aid the strong shell growth and plenty of room to excersize those muscles to help carry it around.
Here is the type of lighting he needs. https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadi ... desert-12/
There is a little video on that page to show how easy it is to fit. To work out how big it is needed you measure the length of the setup, so for example if its 48 inches then go for a tube of 39w because it has a length of 36 inches. There is a chart on that page as a guide. There are also the flood lights on there that also give of a huge level of brightness. And all this means is that as soon as tortoise wakes, sees the light he will want to come out into the bright 'sunlight'. I know its quite an outlay at first but once its setup then you will only have to replace the bulbs and bot the whole kits. These also come with the all important reflector that helps to protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays and there is another chart (or you can ring the helpful people at Swells) to ask the best height to hang the strip kit. Then the flood or spot heat bulbe will just need raising or lowering to obtain the correct temps of around 30°C st shell height one end and sleeping end keeping it the same as you had it.

Hope you can follow this but get back if you can't or have other questions.

Lin

Polly

Post by Polly » 27 Oct 2020, 08:53

Hiya

I have taken your advice and ordered a bulb kit

When it arrives and is fitted I will update you on whether this has made the difference as I am sure it will

Many thanks

lin

Post by lin » 27 Oct 2020, 13:28

I am sure he will love the change and brightness that this kit gives out.
Thanks for keeping us posted and look forward to the update and photos.

Lin

Polly

Post by Polly » 05 Nov 2020, 09:26

Hi lin

I am pleased to let your know that the addition of the new bulb kit has certainly livened him up he seems to want to wander around more and is eating better

Thanks for all your advice

Polly

Nina

Post by Nina » 05 Nov 2020, 10:08

That's great to hear -- and thanks for updating us!

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 05 Nov 2020, 14:17

Thanks for the update Polly. I thought it would because we seem to overlook its not just UVB we need to supply its UVB thats near the equator.

Heres a copy of what we need and this is taken from a December day all over the world. As you can see UK is level 1 and it goes up from there. We know that is impossible and the UVB lights are always being modified to make them better.
UK is the purple line and Australia is the orange!
Your doing grand, well done.
Lin

[attachment=0]decsolstfairweather-800px.gif[/attachment]

[quote=Polly post_id=6655 time=1604568378 user_id=2167]
Hi lin

I am pleased to let your know that the addition of the new bulb kit has certainly livened him up he seems to want to wander around more and is eating better

Thanks for all your advice

Polly
[/quote]
Attachments
decsolstfairweather-800px.gif