Vid of Timmy being angry

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Heather

Vid of Timmy being angry

Post by Heather » 16 Nov 2017, 13:49

Hi - not really 'on thread' regards tortoise care, but I'm guessing this owner needs care himself! I found this story in a newspaper just now, & searched for the vid.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymuFA35diU0

I'm guessing this tortoise is male?
What advice would you give the owner I wonder?

Heather

Nina

Re: Vid of Timmy being angry

Post by Nina » 16 Nov 2017, 16:57

Hi Heather,

Oh yes, that tortoise definitely looks like a male, and he is doing what males naturally do. I've never seen them butt Noah's Ark before (lol), but they do love trainers, bare feet and soft rubber balls, so I would advise the owner to give that tortoise an old trainer that he can 'mate' with all he wants. Male tortoises are relentless in their sex drive, which is why you can't usually keep one female and one male together (the male just harrasses her until she is really stressed, so you need at least two females to every male, just so they can have a bit of peace sometimes).

I once had a friend's tortoise stay at my house for a few nights, and we made him a nice big pen in the utility room. One afternoon I heard the loudest bangs you can imagine coming from that utility room so I ran in and there was Fred ramming into a faint reflection of himself in the bottom of the washing machine (I taped some newspaper up against the machine and that seemed to stop him for a while).

Nina