Shell markings

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Tarajane77

Shell markings

Post by Tarajane77 » 05 Oct 2020, 22:44

Me again.....

So I'm asking about Jemima and her growth mark's on her shell. I acquired her in May this year at the age of 3yrs. They seem to have become very noticeable all over the shell recently, not so much rings but little dashes of bright white a few millimeters in length

She has put on 17 grams since I had her, weighing 371g now. All documented in the lovely booklet you kindly gifted me. I feed her on only fresh foraged weeds and flowers, and in the last month i also give her a few pellets of Mazuri and chunks of cucumber once a week. She has calcium dust on her food daily with vitamins twice per week.

She's using a Solor glo combi currently, and if the weathers been suitable she has gone outside every day. Failing this she has indoor playtime, so she exercises. She is having an arcadia basking bulb on a dimming thermostat AND the 12% T5 uvb strip light next week.

So I've given you a bit of info..... :lol:, what do you think it is?
[attachment=2]20201004_134947.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]20201004_143535.jpg[/attachment]

ALSO....you advised me about over wintering Jemima. She is waking herself up (albeit dinnertime), basking and eating off her own back. As she is doing this I don't want to interfere until I have to, is this the right approach??

Thankyou for your help its always appreciated ,
JODY from WIRKSWORTH

[attachment=0]20201002_150826.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20201002_150826.jpg
20201004_143535.jpg
20201004_134947.jpg
Jody K

Nina

Re: Shell markings

Post by Nina » 06 Oct 2020, 10:02

Hi Jody,

Great to hear from you again, and thanks for the photos.

I can see the marks and don't think they are anything to worry about. I'm not exactly sure what they are, but they are probably keratin stress marks. The only reason I'm not sompletely sure is that usually these are little squiggly white marks (like worm trails) that show just under the surface of the shell. Yours are straight marks, but are probably just a variation. Keratin stress marks (they aren't actually that stressful) occur when a tortoise grows quickly. It can be a sign that you should more closely monitor growth, but Jemima's growth has been absolutely fine (textbook fine, I would say) over the last five months, and these marks do appear in wild tortoises as well, if they have a bit of a growth spurt.

Your husbandry also sounds absolutely perfect, so I hope that puts your mind at rest, but please do let us know if you have any more concerns (and of course it is always nice to see photos of the very lovely Jemima). Lol, I can tell you not toworry, but personally I find that I'm always worrying about something to do with my torts!.

Best,
Nina

Tarajane77

Post by Tarajane77 » 06 Oct 2020, 12:00

Thankyou Nina,

Lovely and kind advice as always.

WOW I thought she hadn't put alot of weight on. Nice to hear shes textbook, just her attitude what needs work on. :lol:

So just to reiterate Jemima is ok to sleep in till dinner if she's getting up, basking and eating independently?

THANKYOU
Jody K

Tarajane77

Post by Tarajane77 » 06 Oct 2020, 12:00

Thankyou Nina,

Lovely and kind advice as always.

WOW I thought she hadn't put alot of weight on. Nice to hear shes textbook, just her attitude what needs work on. :lol:

So just to reiterate Jemima is ok to sleep in till dinner if she's getting up, basking and eating independently?

THANKYOU
Jody K

Nina

Post by Nina » 06 Oct 2020, 13:59

Yes, I think she is fine as long as she's getting up by herself and eating (she's just a lazy so and so). And count yourself lucky because the bulk of Horsfields this time of year are not waking up at all unaided and many won't eat even when they are warmed up. :?

Nina