Advice please

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Cheryl

Advice please

Post by Cheryl » 05 Oct 2020, 19:15

Hi everyone I really need some advice please (don’t worry, Dumbledore is ok).

At the weekend I had a small chimney fire. Luckily with a mixture of all the rain we had and sheer luck we have escaped unscathed and with no damage to the house.

I’ve had the chimney guy out today and I basically have to keep all my doors and windows open as much as possible (windows 24hrs) for the next week to allow the chimney to dry out and to get the smell out of the house. Luckily it’s still warm-ish but I am worried about Dumbledore. I’m not hibernating him as I’ve only had him 7 weeks. The night time temps in the conservatory have been around 15-17 C but with the windows open that’s going to drop pretty low in there.

I don’t have central heating, just the wood burner (which obviously I can’t use at the moment) and a few plug in heaters.
I’ve been given one of those portable gas fires to use as well but I know how much they stink, is this going to affect Dumbledore?
I don’t want to come in one day and find he’s dead from gas fumes, I would be devastated.

I have his old heat mat still, would it be safe to place it between the mesh lid of his table and the wood of his hidey hole? The mat would be kind of sandwiched between the 2 as I have the mesh to keep him safe from the dog and then a makeshift wooden lid over part of that to give him a dark area.

I’m quite literally open to every suggestion to keep him safe and prevent him from hibernating right now.
Hope you guys can help.

Thanks

Cheryl

lin

Re: Advice please

Post by lin » 05 Oct 2020, 19:30

Cheryl, where abouts are you based.
Lin.

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 05 Oct 2020, 19:47

Hi Lin

I’m in Wiltshire

Cheryl

lin

Post by lin » 05 Oct 2020, 20:08

Cheryl. You could also use a ceramic heat emitter or tubular heat emitter. They can go on a thermostat and are safe snough to be used in the bedding area for nights giving off no heat.

https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/swell- ... -emitters/ and they also have details of the holder thats needed on that page.

Or there is this and its also safe and gives off a nice heat during the night and also plugged into a thermostat.
https://www.toolstation.com/dimplex-the ... px4/p34409

Lin

lin

Post by lin » 05 Oct 2020, 20:14

Just looking at your long range weather. I doubt inside it will drop lower than 10°C but it is going to be cold.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... 2020-10-05

Lin

> Hi Lin
>
> I’m in Wiltshire
>
> Cheryl

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 05 Oct 2020, 20:19

Thanks so much Lin. I’ll order one straight away, then I can shut the conservatory doors and put the gas fire on in the living room without worrying about Dumbledore (I’m so cold!)

Do the ceramic heat emitters have to be fitted from above pointing down, or on the side of the table facing out?

Cheryl

Nina

Post by Nina » 05 Oct 2020, 20:36

Hi Cheryl,

So sorry to hear about the fire! Just to add to Lin's good advice, I don't see any problem with using the heat mat, as long as Dumbledore isn't able to touch it (from your description it seemed that it was going to be mounted above him and not under him, and that should be fine. You could even mount it on the underside of the wooden lid to his sleeping area (so it is closer to him but it is still above him and he can't touch it.

As your windows will be open, the portable gas fire should be fine. Tortoises don't take well to fumes, but if the room is well ventilated I don't see a problem.

I'm so glad that nothing was destroyed and you are all well and safe, but it must have been scary! And that reminds me that I need to contact the chap to come and service my gas fire in the fireplace!

Nina

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 05 Oct 2020, 21:24

Hi Nina

Thanks for the advice, and yes, definitely get on to your man to service your fire! After having the entire ground floor of the house full of smoke I can definitely confirm that was the scariest day of my life. I ran in to Dumbledore as soon as I was able and he was not impressed about being yanked out of his home and rushed out into the torrential rain (neither was I to be honest!)

Yes the heat mat would be above him and held in place with the mesh lid so he can’t touch it at all. I think I will do this for a few nights as it’s going to take a few days for the heat emitter to be delivered and I don’t want my little guy sneaking off into hibernation mode.

Once I’ve got him sorted for heat I will then feel a lot better about shutting the door to the conservatory to put the gas fire on - my dog keeps stealing my blanket so I need something to take the chill off!

Thank you both again for coming back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it.

Take care

Cheryl

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Nov 2020, 10:22

Hi Cheryl,

We are supposed to be notified every time someone posts something on the forum, but I've just realised that there was a period in October when we weren't being notified, and I'm finding lots of posts that have gone unanswered (including yours), so I'm really sorry as I've only just seen it.

Did you get the heat emitter, and is all well with you and the tortoise? And I do hope that you've all been able to fully recover from the fire too!

Best,
Nina

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » 01 Dec 2020, 19:15

Hi Nina

Yes all sorted thank you. We are all recovered and so far I’ve been able to keep Dumbledore awake.

Cheryl

Nina

Post by Nina » 01 Dec 2020, 22:01

That's excellent news, and I hope you and Dumbledore go from strength to strength and that you have a lovely Christmas!

Nina

zacherykessler

Post by zacherykessler » 21 Dec 2020, 07:51

Cheryl wrote:
> Hi everyone I really need some advice please (don’t worry, Dumbledore is
> ok).
>
> At the weekend I had a small chimney fire. Luckily with a mixture of all
> the rain we had and sheer luck we have escaped unscathed and with no damage
> to the house.
>
> I’ve had the chimney guy out today and I basically have to keep all my
> doors and windows open as much as possible (windows 24hrs) for the next
> week to allow the chimney to dry out and to get the smell out of the house.
> Luckily it’s still warm-ish but I am worried about Dumbledore. I’m not
> hibernating him as I’ve only had him 7 weeks. The night time temps in the
> conservatory have been around 15-17 C but with the windows open that’s
> going to drop pretty low in there.
>
> I don’t have central heating, just the wood burner (which obviously I can’t
> use at the moment) and a few plug in heaters.
> I’ve been given one of those portable gas fires to use as well but I know
> how much they stink, is this going to affect Dumbledore?
> I don’t want to come in one day and find he’s dead from gas fumes, I would
> be devastated.
>
> I have his old heat mat still, would it be safe to place it between the
> mesh lid of his table and the wood of his hidey hole? The mat would be kind
> of sandwiched between the 2 as I have the mesh to keep him safe from the
> dog and then a makeshift wooden lid over part of that to give him a dark
> area.
>
> I’m quite literally open to every suggestion to keep him safe and prevent
> him from hibernating right now.
> Hope you guys can help.