Noises

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
beeclaire80

Noises

Post by beeclaire80 » 05 Oct 2020, 12:30

Hi,

Me again.

Having Floyd is filling me with anxiety!

Whilst in the bath today he was making squeaking noises. He seems fine. Is eating, pooing, weeing and passing urates.
On Saturday he was really active. Bombing round his table, in and out of his water, climbing and so on. Was quiet and sleepy yesterday though.

Are the noises anything to worry about? He was happy enough in the bath but then tried to climb out (he’s in a blue tub with sides about 4.5 inches high, the tub is about 15 inches by 8 inches).

Please help!

Nina

Re: Noises

Post by Nina » 05 Oct 2020, 13:20

Hi Claire,

If it was only in the bath that he was making squeaking noises and he hasn't made them elsewhere then I wouldn't worry, as it might just have been that he got some water in his nose or something, but do keep an eye on him and let us know if he does it again. If the sides of the container are 4.5" high, does that mean that he can see out if he stretches his head up? If so then you might want to get one that's deeper, because if they can see out then they will try and get out, but if he can't see out then it probably means he had enough bath and was ready to finish. We usually recommend 15 - 20 minutes, but sometimes they want out a bit sooner.

It's wonderful that he was so active on Saturday -- so many tortoises are really slowing down this time of year. He might just be having a little lazy day, so I wouldn't worry, but if he continues to be sleepy then let us know and we can suggest some techniques to get him going again.

Nina x

lin

Post by lin » 05 Oct 2020, 13:22

Hi beeclaire80

Did he only make the squeeky noise while in the bath? How is he today now he has dried off. It could be because he breathed in some water but if you hold the back of his shell to your ear can you hear anything from inside.
Keep an eye on him for the rest of today and if he is or starts to be sleepy of lethargic then a good vet will put your mind at rest.
Keep us posted too.
Lin

beeclaire80

Post by beeclaire80 » 05 Oct 2020, 13:36

Hi Both,

The sides are currently too high for him to stretch and see over although he does try to climb up them (he loves to climb).

He’d been in the water for about 10 minutes, I’d topped it up with warm so it was still ok. It was a bit deep when I first put him in and I had to take him out and pour some away so maybe it was a bit of water that he’s taken in!

Honestly, this weekend I feel like I’m going to get everything wrong! And he’s still so tiny!!

There’s been no more noises though and he’s back under his lamp warming up!

C x

lin

Post by lin » 05 Oct 2020, 17:11

No more noise is good C. Keep watch and if there is any behavioral change then do let us know.

Lin

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » 13 Nov 2020, 16:49

Hi,

I have a 6 year old horsfield named Timmie. He's becomming a man now, hormones, being very territorial etc. It's amusing to watch. It started in the summer. Timmie makes squeeking noises when he's patrolling his enclosure and checking for intruders☺️ It stops after that and he'll do it again after a few hours when patroling and making squeaky noises. At first I was worried, on the other hand he eats, poops, active, looks good, no runny nose, clear eyes. I contacted this horsfield breeder in the US who's also active on another forum. He said his males do this and the more territorial they are, the more they will do this, especially when they have a feeling there might be an intrudor😁 Timmie has a big enclosure full of plants, bridges etc, he can't see the full enclosure at once and really has to check everything.

It is a male thing and some do it more than others. They let the possible intrudor know, hey I'm here, get the hell out.

Timmie is still very active here, no winding down, only going to bed earlier on some days, but not all.

Kimberley

Nina

Post by Nina » 13 Nov 2020, 17:12

Hi Kimberley,

It's great to hear from you and I hope that everything is safe and well in The Netherlands! I remember very well the lovely enclosure that you built for Timmie, with many plants and 'furniture' to interest him, and it's so good to hear that he is growing up to be strong and well. My two girls are in the middle of winding down before hibernation, and basically I had to start winding them down last weekend because they just won't wake up in the morning (those two LOVE to hibernate!).

That is really interesting about the territorial noises that Timmie is making when he is patrolling around his enclosure! I hadn't heard of that, but I can well believe that it happens. I know that tortoises do vocalise when they are mating, and there are some recordings that you can hear of various species making noises here (just click on the little links in the paragraphs about each species): https://tortoise.org/tortcall.html They are very interesting, and surprisingly loud!

Nina

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » 13 Nov 2020, 17:47

Hi Nina,

I hope you and your familie are well too and stay safe.

Do you remember when I first had him, the first week he was in a plexiglas enclosure and was able to see his own image in it? Well I changed that ofcourse, but that's when he first started doing it, he really saw 'intruders' ofcourse and was super anxious. It stopped after making his current enclosure and started again in the summer when he was comfortable with his outdoor and it became really hot. He was a complete hooligan and patroling and squeaking. His hormones really kicked in and he's very territorial now, also with me😁

I can still do everything with him, pick him up, touch him etc and he's still sweet, but I do have to be careful when I change his water or put his food plate in or take out a poopy, spray his enclosure he immediately comes over and is like: what are you doing with my home? This is my home! Ok? 😁 Oh and he bobs his head alot! That's also a sign, trying to intimidate me😅

I'll try to film him doing it.

While patroling and squeaking he also stops and digs his tail in the soil and then proceeds. It's funny.

Kimberley