New Tortoise - Advice

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
SpurTort10

New Tortoise - Advice

Post by SpurTort10 » 16 Nov 2017, 11:30

Good morning,

I have recently adopted a 5 month old Spur-Thighed Tortoise, upon collecting, she seemed full of life, walking around etc.

She is now in her home (A tortoise table, with Coir substrate) however since i have put her in her home, she dosent want to move. Pops her head out every now and then, but stays where i placed her.

It has only been about 24 hours since i got her, but this is my first tortoise so was jus hoping for a little advice and if what she is doing is normal.

I have placed water and a small amount of food in her home but still nothing.

Based: UK

Thank you in advance for any help.

lin

Re: New Tortoise - Advice

Post by lin » 16 Nov 2017, 12:22

Hi, sorry I dont know your name but welcome to the forum.
I would think the reason behind this is that everything is new and she will take a while to settle.
What substrate was she on when you collected her, can you remember?
There is a bit of speculation over what to use as substrate but most tortoises do come from natural habitats that include a sand and the closest we get is the childrens playsand mixed in with the topsoil or coir.
We also have to think about the temps you are offering and adding that to the drop in temps tortoises do like to think about hibernation so can you tell us the temps you are getting in the hot area at the tortoises shell height and again in the cooler area.
Pics would be good and if we see anything that can be tweaked its easier that way and quicker.
But I am sure it is a settling in time and if you just place a leaf or two in front of her and leave the room she will probably come round in a few days.

Lin

SpurTort10

Post by SpurTort10 » 16 Nov 2017, 12:56

Hi Lin,

Thank you for the quick reply,

I did put it down to settling in, but just wanted to make sure.

Her previous home was soil, hence the reason i went for the coir. Current tempratures are running at around 29c on the hot side of the table and around 22c on the cooler side, dropping to about 19c at night.

Hopefully it is just a settling in thing, if not ill send over some picture of my set up once im back home.

Thanks again,

KR,
Adam

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Nov 2017, 13:14

Hi Adam,

Congratulations on your new tortoise -- what's his or her name? I agree with Lin that she is probably just settling in, and your temperatures seem about right. Do make sure, as Lin says, that you are measuring the hot spot directly below the heat source and at tortoise shell height (a thermometer on a wall a few inches away will give an inaccurate reading).

Coir is OK, but it can get very dusty and I think you would be better off with a mixture of sterilised topsoil and children's playsand (both of which can be bought at garden centres, Homebase, etc.), as this most approximates the type of substrate they would live on in the wild. Most people use a mix of the two at about 50-50, but I prefer about 60/40 or 70/30, with the larger proportion being the topsoil, and you do need to spray it regularly to keep it from getting dusty.

And do give her nice warm baths, in a container that she can't see out of (like an old washing up bowl) every other day or so, as tortoises can go a long time without eating, but they can dehydrate under lamps very quickly.

If you don't have a care sheet, here is a link to one for spur thighs
http://www.tortoise-protection-group.or ... 014New.pdf

It sound like you are providing her with a nice home and I'm sure she will perk up really soon.

Nina

SpurTort10

Post by SpurTort10 » 16 Nov 2017, 13:33

Thank you Nina,

Really appreciate the advice and the link, a thermometer is in place stuck to the side of the tort table, close to the light and ground level with the tort.

Doing so much internet research can have allot of conflicting information, as ive hear the sand can be dangerous to the tortoises eyes. However if i find she does not get allong with the Coir i will definitely look at changing this to topsoil and sand combination.

Warm baths will be done also! thank you for all the help everyone.

Attached is a picture of Bow :D [attachment=0]Bow.JPG[/attachment]

Adam
Attachments
Bow.JPG
Bow

Nina

Post by Nina » 16 Nov 2017, 13:45

Oh, what a gorgeous little tortoise -- and what a sweet name! If you can take the thermometer off the wall (don't bother if it is stuck on), and hold it under the lamp, you will see it is quite a bit hotter there than just a few inches away -- but as long as Bow can move in and out of the hot spot to get cooler, she should be OK. You might think of getting one of the digital thermometers with a display unit and then a probe on the end of a long cord, and then you can hang the cord down so that the probe is under the lamp at tortoise shell height. That will give you a more accurate reading.
Something like this: https://www.nisbets.co.uk/hygiplas-digi ... 675-_-F343 but you can get them cheaper. The added benefit is that they have a Max/Min feature on them, so you can see how hot and how cold it got since you last re-set it. Not essential but useful.

I do think Bow is so sweet, and she looks very healthy too!

Nina