New owner. Any advice appreciated

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Christine

New owner. Any advice appreciated

Post by Christine » 11 Aug 2020, 17:49

Hi everyone, I’m a first time forum user and the proud new owner of a 5 year old Horsefield Tortoise named pebbles. We adopted him from a family who didn’t feel they were giving him the attention he deserved. My son, who was desperate for a reptile for his 10th birthday is over the moon with our new pet.

I had no plans on becoming a tortoise owner. I only started doing my research over the last couple of weeks when I agreed to have him come live with us. From what I’ve read, and learned so far, I feel that there are quite a number of adjustments to be made to his set up and lifestyle in order for us to give him the best possible life that we can.

My plan is to do this slowly over the coming weeks and months as he settles in to his new surroundings. I also plan to replace his vivarium, but as this a costly investment (and I will have to rearrange my furniture 😀) I will do that as soon as I possibly can.

At the moment I am just looking for some advice as to how I can best improve/adjust his current set up.

Current set up -
A Komodo Vivarium (70cm x 40cm).
A heat mat (placed under his hide at one end) which is attached to a mini stat 100 (set to 25dc).
An Arcadia Reptile Solar Basking Spot Lamp 75 Watt at the other end.
Floor covering - Reptile Beech Chips.
A pellet bowl and a water bowl.

Instructions from previous owner -
The heat mat is on throughout the day and is turned off when the bulb/light is on (for a few hours in the afternoon).
The light goes back off in the evening and the heat mat put back on.
He is fed various leafy greens once a day sprinkled with calcium powder (twice a week). Food is placed by the basking light end. Also fresh water daily.

The first thing I have done is to order some thermometers, as I have no idea what the temperature inside the vivarium is.

We only got him yesterday afternoon. He came out of his corner last night and ate some leaves. Although today he has spent most of it hiding in the corner. 🐢

A few pics attached. Thanks in advance. 😊
Attachments
0597BCDE-7C77-4D8D-A25C-41867A790556.jpeg
F8591A02-4265-4FA8-984B-35049AFD5867.jpeg

lin

Re: New owner. Any advice appreciated

Post by lin » 11 Aug 2020, 19:26

Hi Christine.
While we are compiling and answer for you can I send you this caresheet for Horsfields (only one e in horsfield :lol: ) so you have something to read through while I answer.
I am so pleased you have researched and came to the conclusion that the previous owners got it wrong and thank you for takinh this handson little one on for a better life.
https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf

He is a handsome little fella and I bet your son cant believe it.

Lin

lin

Post by lin » 11 Aug 2020, 21:39

Hi Christine
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on becoming a new tortoise mum and you son in enjoying his new pet.
I am pleased that during your research you found there is a lot that needs adjusting and all are easy enough to do and all can be done at one time.

Most important I think is the heat pad. That can be removed altogether and if you don’t hibernate Pebbles this winter then during the coldest of winter months you could attach it to the bedding area to come on if the temps drop too low.

The heat light. This can be turned off and removed especially during this heat. I am assuming you are in the UK. Horsfields will not need heat during the day or night until the house temps start to drop. The hot spot needs to be 30°C and the cool area should be 20°C give or take. Is there any UVB ?

Once the thermometer arrives the temp should be taken in the hottest part under the heat lamp by holding the thermometer at the height of Pebbles shell. That will give you an accurate reading which is much different than the ‘stick on the side’ thermometers.

Vivarium!!! I am sure you have read the do’s and don’ts about these. To adjust a viv into a nice area with plenty of airflow for a tortoise here are a couple of ideas. If you need more just ask. Below is a link to a nice project that has been made from an ols coffee table.

I have always found that if you offer water in a shallow dish so they can get in and out of easily for drinking and bathing then once you see them bathing it is one less job you have to do. Bathing helps keep them hydrated and nice and moist and they will often use the dish for toilet duties.

The substrate. I like to say that if you think wild it will give you some idea of what they have as substrate and the best we can come up with is children’s plays and mixed with sterilised topsoil. About 50/50 gives a good starting point and this is misted daily to prevent it being to dusty. Not wet mind, only just slightly moist.
Another important thing to consider when thinking substrate is that the wood chips, hay or straw and even the coco coir are all easily flammable and should a lamp blow there is always a risk of fire.

And finally the dreaded D word. Diet. Please do dispose of those pellets. They really are not good for tortoises. It should cost nothing to feed a tortoise and once you have everything in place it will be easy pickings from weeds and flowers from the garden. Have you looked at the database on this site?
Hope this is helpful Christine, and if there is anything else you need to ask then do get back to us.
Lin

[attachment=0]Tortoise tables, not TTT40607230_1897910646923259_5078378633689563136_o.jpg[/attachment]
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tor ... n-project/
Attachments
Tortoise tables, not TTT40607230_1897910646923259_5078378633689563136_o.jpg

Christine

Post by Christine » 15 Aug 2020, 22:31

Hi Lin. Thanks so much for taking the time to get back to me. And for all the advice.

Sorry it has taken me a few days to thank you. I’ve been busy with a new project...

I decided to put together a tortoise table. Built using a garden planter base, liner and an off cut of MDF. It worked out super cheap!

I’ve replaced the heat lamp with a UVB/Heat Combi lamp. As there was no UVB previously. Replaced the chips with a tortoise soil substrate. And the pellets and heat pad are gone! Although I’ll keep hold of the heat pad for the winter months, like you suggested. He’s never been put into hibernation and I think I need a bit more time with him before I go through the process.

That link inspired me to get creative 😂

It was good to know I could make lots of changes at once. I was just really nervous about shaking things up too much for him, although I just went for it and I’m glad I did. He’s also been outside for a little explore in the garden the past few days enjoying the sunshine. I gave him a little soak too. And he seems so much better for it. A lot more active today than when he first arrive at the start of the week.

The temperature readings have been around 33 degreesC at the hot end and 23 at the cooler end. And in the evening the lowest temp was 20 degreesC.

Next thing I really need to look into is his diet. He’s eaten a small about of supermarket mixed salad leaves over the last few day. Unfortunately I don’t have any plants/weeds in my garden that are suitable. So I’m going to have to put my thinking cap on when it comes to foraging for his food.

Once again, thanks for your help. This site is a great source for advice ☺️ Although I’m sure I’ll have loads more questions as time passes. But I feel things are going in the right direction.

Cx
Attachments
02A598BA-6AA1-45EA-A815-F655D7DA01FF.jpeg