New baby Hermann - Advice

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Shan_88

New baby Hermann - Advice

Post by Shan_88 » 05 Aug 2020, 20:42

Evening everyone , I have found this app after being recommended and would just try and gain some more important info and advice for my baby Herman , Timmy !

Attached photo shows the set up we have currently . He’s ok but doesn’t seem to be to keen on eating from what I can see , am I just being OTT and things will settle ?

Looking forward to seeing him grow 🐢
Attachments
03B0AEA0-7BB0-4DDF-AFC6-2B2DFD9E0E53.jpeg

lin

Re: New baby Hermann - Advice

Post by lin » 05 Aug 2020, 21:08

Hi Shan. He looks ever so tiny and cute . How long have you had him and can I ask what his diet consists of. Was he from a breeder or petshop?
If you don't already ave one here is a caresheet for Hermann tortoises for you to look at that might give you some tips.

https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf
His reluctance to eat is most probably because he is new and will spend time exploring and settling in.
Let us know if you would like some suggestions of what you can put in that lovely enclosure to give him some interesting things to do.

Lin

Shan_88

Post by Shan_88 » 05 Aug 2020, 21:54

Hi Lin
Thank you for reply
We have only had him 3 days . From a trusted breeder .

Any suggestions are welcome . We have planned for some grown plants (safe ones ) and some pebbles for now ?

Also any ideas on correct lighting ? Seeing many different set ups and thoughts

Thank you

lin

Post by lin » 06 Aug 2020, 11:46

Hi Shan.
Ahh, that will be why he is being a terror and not eating then. He is new and having a look around at the sights and smells and will start up soon enough. As he is from a breeder he will be used to wild diet so there will be no need for and shop bought salad stuff but one thing he must have is a water dish so he can go in and out of, drink and bathe in his own time. One that he can easily get in and out and water just up to his chin.

Lighting. I have always preferred the UVB strip light. It covers a much greater area and if placed in the middle, above the table he will gain much more exposure (remember that outside sunlight cannot be replicated by a bulb though) on his journeys back and forth. Arcadia T5 12% hung around 20” above tortoises shell along the length of the table from above and you MUST have a reflector to go with this.
For heat you can use any spotlight from a supermarket or pet shop that will give off heat and not those energy efficient type. The heat is regulated by raising and lowering this light to adjust.
Heres a link for the tube, and the wattage indicates the length so if you measure your table and go for the one that will cover approx ¾ of the length of the table. You can ring Swells, they are very helpful.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadi ... t5-12-uvb/

Hope this gives you some ideas and do get back if you need anything else.

Lin

Shan_88

Post by Shan_88 » 06 Aug 2020, 16:14

Lin
So much help there so thank you !
I’ll probably go for the strip light , have seen a few different options but that looks great .

A silly one but I does the strip light come with the connections for the bulb to sit into or is that a separate purchase ?

Thank you for you help

lin

Post by lin » 06 Aug 2020, 22:03

Hi Shan
You can get the kit which includes both the unit and strip. If you do get it from Swells and get the 39w you can use the voucher shown along the top. That includes the reflector too so nothing else would be needed.
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadi ... desert-12/
The good thing about getting a strip and seperate heat is that if one goes you dont have to purchase both.

Lin