Shelley and Albert newbies

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Lenny21

Shelley and Albert newbies

Post by Lenny21 » 15 Jun 2020, 09:50

Hi All,

We have just welcomed Shelley and Albert to our home they are both Horsefield and 10 months old. We are new owners and did a lot of research via the tortoise protection group facebook page.

They seem to be very quiet and sleep a lot of the time. They have had little nibbles on their food but not showing much interest. I am assuming it takes time to settle in.
Attachments
20200612_155457.jpg

Nina

Re: Shelley and Albert newbies

Post by Nina » 15 Jun 2020, 11:00

Hi Lenny and welcome to The Tortoise Table! Congratulations on welcoming Shelley and Albert into your home -- they are gorgeous and Horsfields are a great species of tortoise, with loads of personality. You might be interested to know that Horsfield doesn't have an 'e' in the middle of its name because the species was named in honour of Dr Thomas Horsfield, a 19th century naturalist who discovered it (lol, now you can wow all your friends with your in-depth knowledge of the species! :D ).

Young tortoises do spend a lot of time sleeping, and it's also possible that yours are just settling in, but the temperature and other conditions they are kept in can have a huge effect on their energy levels and well being. That is great that you did your research before you got the tortoises -- so many don't and they end up with problems. If you've looked at the TPG Facebook page you might also have their care sheet for Horsfields, but if not then here is a link to it: https://www.tortoise-protection-group.o ... 014New.pdf

Do you have the tortoises in a table or a viv, and what are the temperatures directly underneath the heat source, at the height of the tortoise's shell? You might have to hold the thermometer there for several minutes to get a reading -- and a thermometer mounted on a nearby wall will not give you an accurate reading. Also what is the temperature at the cool end of the enclosure? You want to aim for a temperature of 30C directly under that lamp and 20C at the cool end, and you might have to raise or lower the lamp to get the right temperature, depending on the ambient temperature in the room.

If you send us a photo of your set-up there might just be a few tweaks we could suggest to get your tortoises up and moving around.

Nina

Lenny21

Post by Lenny21 » 15 Jun 2020, 14:53

Hi Nina
Thanks for your reply. We have them on a table indoors with verve soil from b&q a heat lamp and a thermometer. So have been checking the temp. They have been moving around a lot more especially Albert. Shelley is still hiding a lot and doesn't seem to want to eat but has had a drink. Albert is eating and drinking a lot.

Thanks for the info on dropping the 'e' :D :D

Having trouble sending the photos!

Nina

Post by Nina » 15 Jun 2020, 16:55

Hi Lenny,

It sounds like they are doing just fine and just settling in -- and well done for getting them a table and not a vivarium (big problems with vivariums and tortoises).

Is your heat lamp one that gives off light and also UVB (not just UVA)? UVB is very important for tortoises, so if you have one lamp that gives off heat, light and UVB then that will be a mercury vapour one which is great. If your lamp only gives off heat, light and maybe UVA then you need another lamp for UVB -- probably one of the fluorescent UVB tubes. Just checking.

If you can reduce your photos in size and then send them, that should work, but for some reason our system isn't straightforward (I guess we can't have everything). Here's a link to how to upload photos on the forum https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/sit ... hp?f=4&t=3 , but you could always just send them to us at contact@thetortoisetable.org.uk and we'll reduce them and upload them for you.

Nina

Lenny21

Post by Lenny21 » 15 Jun 2020, 18:42

Hi Nina,

It's a ceramic reflector clamp lamp with mercury vapour D3 basking lamp. I hope this is the right one. We put it on at 7am and turn it off around 7PM. Still struggling with sending the pictures so may just email them. Thank you so much for your help. :)

Lenny21

Post by Lenny21 » 15 Jun 2020, 18:43

[attachment=0]20200615_181258.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20200615_181258.jpg

Lenny21

Post by Lenny21 » 15 Jun 2020, 18:44

[attachment=0]20200615_181258.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20200615_181258.jpg

Nina

Post by Nina » 21 Jun 2020, 13:56

Hi Lenny,

I'm so, so sorry to be so late in responding to your latest post! For some reason I wasn't notified of a new message coming in, and I should have been.

Your lamp sounds fine, but the temperatures are what is important. What is the temperature directly below that lamp at the height of a tortoise's shell (you might have to hold the thermmeter there for several minutes to get a tood reading), and what is the temperature at the cooler end of the table? The brightness of the light and the temperature are incredibly important in determining how active or alert a tortoise is.

I think your table looks very nice, and I like the rock and other 'furniture' you've put in there -- it should make for good variety and keep them interested. What is what looks like a covered area of the table towards the bottom of the photo? It's a rather large area of wood -- and maybe it isn't part of the table, but if it is then I think I would take that cover off and open up the table more, as tortoises just won't use an area that is dark.

How are they doing now? Has there been any improvement in Shelley's appetite?

Again many apologies for not seeing your post!

Nina