Thinking of Getting a Tortoise

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
LittlePenBigHeart

Thinking of Getting a Tortoise

Post by LittlePenBigHeart » 27 Oct 2017, 18:36

Hi there

I work for a very good, dedicated, pet shop and today I had training on reptiles. That training included Hermanns Tortoise and it's left me considering adopting one.

We covered food, enclosure, substrate, UVB lamp, etc but there's one thing that concerns me and I realise it might be an emotive issue but I have to ask. I have 3 cats (all very well behaved in general) and I wonder if it would be unfair/cruel to adopt a tortoise with cats in the house, or whether it's okay as long as I keep them apart. I would never want to place any animal in danger and we do have a spare room I could keep the tortoise in (it's a big room) if need be but should it be free to wander around with us in the evenings?

Nina

Re: Thinking of Getting a Tortoise

Post by Nina » 27 Oct 2017, 19:05

Hi LittlePenBigHeart (lol, sorry, I don't know your real name), and welcome to The Tortoise Table!

It sounds like your job puts you in a good position to learn about tortoise care, and Hermann tortoises are a really good species to keep. Cat's aren't usually a problem, but it would be best if you could keep the cats from jumping into the tortoise table (and it is very important that you get a tortoise table and not a vivarium as housing for your tortoise -- we can give you reasons why if you are interested). Dogs are a very different problem and should never be allowed to be alone with a tortoise, but cats are usually fine.

Will you have an outdoor space for your tortoise to be in when the weather is warm? Tortoises get bored fairly quickly if they are confined in small areas, so you can have a great time designing the table to give maximum interest for the tortoise, and we can certainly give you some advice and help on that if you are interested. I don't think I would allow the tortoise to walk unsupervised around the house for any length of time, as they can nibble on various things -- bits of fluff, etc. that aren't good for them, but a bit of exercise outside their table is OK.

In case you haven't looked in detail into the care for Hermanns yet, here is a link to a care sheet. http://www.tortoise-protection-group.or ... 014New.pdf
Have a read of it and come back with any questions you might have. Tortoises are great animals to keep and have super personalities (which surprises most people!), so I hope you are successful in getting your tortoise and we're always here to answer any questions -- and we LOVE looking at photos of tortoises. :) :)

Nina

LittlePenBigHeart

Post by LittlePenBigHeart » 27 Oct 2017, 20:41

Hi Nina

Thanks so much for replying. Sorry, my name is Vikki, lol!

Yepp, we were told about that - vivs and terrariums don't have sufficient airflow for tortoises, is that right? Thankfully, we sell tortoise tables at work anyway but the trainer actually converted a large bookshelf into a tortoise table! It sounded pretty cool.

We do have a garden. It's technically all been turned into fruit and veg production but my husband is happy for me to revert a large enough portion of it (somewhere that gets both sun and shade) into grassy area, and the trainer said they should be popped out in a protected space outside as often as possible when it's over 18 degrees C, so they can get natural sunlight.

As for inside, as you say, the tortoise table would have a mix of empty space, since we were told they don't like to feel crowded, a hide and some other bits to keep the tortoise entertained.

The only bit that makes me wonder about it is the hibernation thing...So we were told that once the underside of the shell is 10cm, they should be placed in hibernation (subject to a vet health check, approval and dates being provided) around this time of year, and that the safest way to do that is to place the tortoise in a small fridge, specifically for the purpose. It fills me with fear and pain just thinking about it, even though it is essential. I'd have to overcome that!!

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Oct 2017, 21:25

Hi Vikki,

Well, I have to say I am super impressed with the pet shop you work for! In my experience 99% of pet shops will sell vivs to the customer when they sell the tortoise, so your pet shop is definitely clued up and giving out good advice. And converting a bookshelf is an excellent way to get your self a cheap and good sized table, so full points on that too. And a tip re tortoise tables -- I would get the biggest one you have space for -- and if the room isn't large and you don't want a table jutting out into the middle of it, then build an 'L'-shaped table. Also, it's great to have a ramp up to a second level. The second level doesn't have to be big -- just enough for the tortoise to walk around a bit up there. I use my upper level for feeding them and it means that the food doesn't get substrate all over it -- plus the under side of the upper level can double as a sleeping area (and a sleeping area should be smallish and cozy -- it doesn't need to be big.

That is great that you have an outdoor area, and he will love it. If you can be outside in a short sleeved shirt then your tortoise can be outdoors. I wouldn't have an area that is all grassed over though -- bare earth with a small area of grass and other areas of flat stones, some hills (one of those curved ceramic roof tiles is good because it makes a hill that they can climb and a tunnel they can walk through or shelter under) are good too, and anything that breaks up sight lines.

Re hibernation. Yes it is definitely more scary for us than it is for the tortoise! I wouldn't hibernate your tortoise in the first year anyway, as you want to get to know him or her so that you can spot anything that might indicate the tortoise isn't in full health, but after that even very small tortoise can be hibernated (but for a shorter time). You need to prepare a tortoise carefully for hibernation by going through a winding down period before they go into the fridge, but don't worry about that now. When the time comes we have some excellent instruction guides on winding down and hibernating, and we'll be happy to send them to you at any time, and we're always here for advice too.

The only other thing I would say is that it's usually best to buy your tortoise from a UK breeder, rather than a tortoise who has been imported. If you let us know where you live, we could maybe point out a breeder who is close to you. Buying from a breeder is good because the tortoise hasn't gone through the stress of being imported and is therefore likely to be healthier, plus you might even get to meet its parents. Also the aftercare you get from breeders us usually very good because having bred the tort they just want to make sure it is having a good life in its new home and so will give you tips and answer questions. But it might be that your pet shop sells UK-bred tortoises, which would be excellent too.

Sorry to have gone on at such length! Have a look at some of the articles on our website (like in the Care section) as they might be of interest, and do ask any questions you might have -- that's what we're here for. http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Cheers,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 27 Oct 2017, 21:31

Hi Vikki.
I was just going to come in and say what Nina said about you being well versed in the care and housing of a new tortoise. Well done to you and your tortoise for having a carer such as yourself.
Lin

LittlePenBigHeart

Post by LittlePenBigHeart » 27 Oct 2017, 22:07

Thank you all so much!

Yeah, is it okay to say the pet shop on here? I work for Pets Corner and we're VERY strict about training and the animals we sell. We mostly sell small furries (hamsters, bunnies, guinea pigs, gerbils, guindea pigs) but a few of our stores sell reptiles and all of our stores sell reptile products so we have to undergo training (which is then repeated annually, even if you've done it before) so we know what we're selling, to whom and why. Our live animals are only ever brought in from breeders we know and trust and we are extremely careful in vetting them. We don't make a profit on them - we pay 'market value' for them so the breeders can afford to look after them properly. That way we know whenever we sell an animal to someone (and you have to have been specially trained to do it), it's had the best possible start. I LOVE working for them!!

Anyway, the only problem is that whenever you go on training and you learn about the animals, there's a very real danger you'll end up owning one. After I had wild bird training, I ended up buying a huge quantity of exceptional quality bird food (Peter and Paul). I would have adopted guinea pigs after small animal training but that wouldn't have been fair with cats around.

Truth is, I've been thinking about a tortoise for a long time, but I didn't know much about them. Having learned more about them, I know I want to give one a good home, and I know buying one through work means it's come from an excellent breeder.

Thank you so much for all the tips!! I don't think I'll be able to get a tortoise for a month or so, sadly. It'll take a while to make sure I have everything set up and ready, and to make the other necessary arrangements (making sure someone in my family can look after it if we go on holiday, finding a reptile-friendly vet, etc), but I'll save all the tips because they're great ideas.

If you think of anything else, I'd be grateful. :)

Nina

Post by Nina » 27 Oct 2017, 23:00

HI Vikki,

Could you tell me where your Pets Corner is? I almost never recommend pet shops to people (except for one near where I live as it is absolutely brilliant), but yours sounds exceptionally good and if we hear of people living in your area I could mention your shop to them. No wonder you love working for them -- they sound brilliant!

Ha, ha, Lin and I know just what you mean about learning a bit more about something and then becoming obsessed with it. I've collected various succulent plants and cacti in a small way for a while, and told Lin about succulents and also hoyas a while ago and now she and I have more succulents and cacti and hoyas than anyone could possibly want. You learn stuff and then you get the bug and can't stop! LOL and if you are worried about cats and tortoises, just ask Lin how many cats she has :shock:

Re the reptile friendly vet -- that is actually essential, as it's quite shocking how little most ordinary vets know about reptiles (I think I heard that htey get a total of 2 months training in reptiles in the whole of their studies, unless they state a particular interest in reptiles, so some vets can give very bad advice about tortoise care and health. We have a list of recommended vets on our website, organised by area/county so you could have a look at that and see if there are any near you (or if there isn't we can ask around and see if we can find one). http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tort ... fOsZYhryM8

Take care, and I hope that before too long we are seeing photos of your lovely new tortoise in his little torty table palace!

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 27 Oct 2017, 23:05

All I can think of Vikki, is if you ever need any help, advise or plant identification then we will be here for you. Have a look around the website and the database, and the menu's as you will find lots of interesting articles and a list of vets if you need one.
We also have a Facebook page that you can join by following the link that can be found at the bottom of any of our pages on here when you come out of the forum, or by clicking here -- https://www.facebook.com/TheTortoiseTable/

Lin
Update -- I have 7 cats - :lol:

LittlePenBigHeart

Post by LittlePenBigHeart » 28 Oct 2017, 18:41

Hahaha, I love that about the succulents!

Thanks so much for your advice so far. I've checked on the link you gave and one of the vets is only a 20 minute drive from me in Christcurch (20 miutes tops, actually) so I should be able to register with them easily enough. Phew! Relieved because the next nearest after that is nearly an hour away. :?

The shop I work for is a national chain, but entirely family run, so we have them in a lot of different places. My store is in Bournemouth.

Signed up to follow the FB group. Thanks for the recommendation! I've now started buying stuff....got the PowerSun bulb, lamp, reflective lampshade, disinfectant, habba hut, calci dust, Nutrobal and lamp stand. Still need to get the dimmer thermostat and debating whether I should get a heat mat incase it gets too chilly in the spare room at night...

The cost has been a little...shocking! :shock: Still, it's mostly only one-off or long-term purchases so it'll be fine in a month or two.

lin

Post by lin » 28 Oct 2017, 19:54

Oh dear. This is going to be one spoiled tortoise. Hope mine dont find out :lol:

Your right about the costs being one off's. Once its sorted at least the food is free.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 28 Oct 2017, 23:37

Sounds like you're going great guns and will be ready well before Christmas! What are you using the dimmer thermostat for -- is it for a ceramic heat emitter in case it gets too cold at night? I had one when I lived in an especially cold house (thin layer of ice on a cup of water by my bedside sometimes), but if your room temperature doesn't drop below about 12 - 14 C it's not really necessary. I wouldn't let it go any lower, but if your room doesn't drop below 12 or 14 (which most houses don't nowadays), I wouldn't bother getting a CHE and a dimming thermostat. Also, if you get a heat mat you need to put it either on the wall of the table or on the roof of the sleeping area -- never put a heat mat under a tortoise (even if it is well covered) as tortoises have got burns from sitting over even low wattage heat mats. I really don't think a heat mat will be necessary. This is so exciting, getting ready to welcome a new tortoise into your house -- can't wait to hear more!

Nina