Help!

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
LRK26

Help!

Post by LRK26 » 15 Apr 2020, 17:57

We have a 16 year old tortoise, we live on a farm with a very large garden a fence with gaps that leads into an allotment and 3 fields what lead onto fields. Unfortunately today at 15.00 we noticed he escaped his enclosure. We’ve put his enclosure outside and tomato’s/strawberries we’ve hunted the flower beds as best as possible since 15.00 (what are very large and over grown this time of year) any advice would be greatly appreciated

Nina

Re: Help!

Post by Nina » 15 Apr 2020, 18:24

Oh dear, I am so sorry -- this must be really distressing for you! You've done all the right things, and all I can suggest is that you keep doing them. The evening is cool and he has very likely slowed down and maybe dug in somewhere. They do tend to dig in next to and under shrubs. Hopefully when the sun comes out tomorrow (where do you live -- north/south, etc.) he might come out to bask a bit. The only thing you can do, I'm afraid, is a fingertip search on hands and knees. If there are several of you, try and be methodical and go in a line together (think of all the crime dramas you've watched on telly). He is probably still in the garden, and it is amazing how they can be camouflaged so well and be within a foot of you but invisible. When they do dig in under something, the soil there is often a bit softer and not packed down, but he is also just likely to be sheltering under some big leaves, etc. So you need to feel every inch of ground with your hands if possible.

I had this happen to me many years ago with a tiny baby tortoise. I spent hours and hours and put out tomatoes and strawberries as you have done, tore a white sheet into strips and laid them out in the garden thinking he might be attracted to them because it was brighter there, had several desk lamps on extension cords thinking maybe he would be attracted to the heat provided by them, etc. Unfortunately nothing worked, and I never found him, but more recently a couple of years ago one of mine escaped from her enclosure by climbing up an almost vertical wall that formed the boundary of the enclosure onto a raised bed that was thick with plants. I only found her because I sat still and scanned the bed and noticed a leaf moving a bit nd there was no wind, and when I got to that leaf, there she was walking under it. So they certainly can be found, and I'm hoping with many fingers crossed that tomorrow you'll be successful in finding your tortoise. Please let us know.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 15 Apr 2020, 22:47

Oh poor you. Going along with what Nina has said I would put rather large laminated if possible, notes on the gates and around the allotments and both on the fences to the fields and also on the front of the fields (maybe offer a reward for his safe return as the kiddies are off school and will do anything for a few quid).
I do think he is possible still in the garden but best to cover all angles.
Good luck and I have my fingers crossed tightly for you.
Please do keep us posted.

Lin

LRK26

Post by LRK26 » 16 Apr 2020, 15:04

Hiya thank so so much for the replys! I’m north east so unfortunately no sun at all today just cloud and wind and the search has continued but no luck as of yet! Xx

LRK26

Post by LRK26 » 16 Apr 2020, 15:06

Unfortunately we are on private land so no walkers or farmers and our nearest neighbour is 5 miles away the allotment and fields are ours with very gappy fencing/hedges separating them from the garden. I’ve put out some slate with treats on as I read they heat up and possible he may bask on them xxxx

lin

Post by lin » 16 Apr 2020, 16:19

I would still put notices around the outskirts of the area just incase someone is passing.
I dont suppose there has been any luck yet :(
Maybe he has hunkeres doen to keep warm and will wake with the heat and on those bright sunny days perhaps some rings of cucumber left within sniffing distence.

Lin

LRK26

Post by LRK26 » 17 Apr 2020, 17:17

Still nothing yet we moved his table outside into the sun/flowerbed with the side off so he can go in but no luck the suns only been out for about 30 mins max today and strong winds so very cold. Still got his food, tomatoes and strawberries out for him scattered on different parts of the lawn

lin

Post by lin » 17 Apr 2020, 18:04

Oh poor you, and with such a huge area to cover.
Its even more difficult because of this lockdown because I would havs suggested to go grab a load of kids and get them to help in a search....
Its so difficult because you are on your own with only close family so not enough to really cover any ground.
Hoping tomorrows report from you holds some great news, we could sure do with it.

Lin

Nina

Post by Nina » 17 Apr 2020, 20:38

I'm so sorry that there is no result yet, but the weather is really cool and he is probably safely dug in somewhere about two feet from where you're standing. Hopefully when it gets warmer you'll wake up one morning and find him a bit muddy by standing proudly in the centre of your lawn. We're all thinking of you and hoping for the best result!

Nina

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 18 Apr 2020, 22:17

Hi just wondering if you've had any sign yet? It has gone really cool (I'm in the north west) so i bet he's hunkered down somewhere till it warms up. Hopefully he 'll hear your voices and smell the food and find his way back. Thinking of you.

LRK26

Post by LRK26 » 07 May 2020, 14:03

We found him today luckily one of my pigs was snuffling around the long grass around the bottom of tree this morning and he fell out of the grass onto his back!

Nina

Post by Nina » 07 May 2020, 14:57

Oh my goodness, that is amazing, and I'm so pleased for you! So that is three weeks he's been out on his little adventure -- how wonderful that he is back with you now. And you can forget your project to train that pig to locate valuable truffles, in order to make some extra money during this lockdown -- you could make a fortune by hiring him out to track down lost tortoises!

Thanks so much for letting us know the good news.

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 07 May 2020, 19:23

Oh wow. That is just the greatest news ever and lucky you were in the right place at the right time. So pleased he is back where he belongs and thanks for the update.

Lin

LRK26 wrote:
> We found him today luckily one of my pigs was snuffling around the long
> grass around the bottom of tree this morning and he fell out of the grass
> onto his back!

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 10 May 2020, 22:07

Fabulous news!!