tortoise's tail

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Amber

tortoise's tail

Post by Amber » 06 Apr 2020, 11:17

Hi, After your invaluable advice after we found our tortoise Sheldon he is now completely up and running and back to normal - very active, peeing and pooing etc..
We have one slight concern which is that his tail has been slightly damaged by his shell - the shell seems to curve around quite sharply and has cut into the tail - at one point it was looking a bit red and open but it seems to be better now and I wonder if it was from pressure when he first came out of hibernation as it took him a while to have a poo but I'm wondering if I should make some adjustment to his shell which curves around the shell. should we file his shell back a bit so it doesn't curl right into his tail as it seems to be on the wrong trajectory!
Many thanks
Amber

Nina

Re: tortoise's tail

Post by Nina » 06 Apr 2020, 11:38

Hi Amber,

I'm so glad that Sheldon is back to normal after spending the winter outdoors -- that is great news!

Regarding the tail, I'm not quite sure and need to consult with some colleagues, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Tortoise shells are sort of similar to fingernails, but not completely, and they do have nerves in them and they can feel through the shell, so you wouldn't want to damage those. I have heard of a tortoise whose legs were being rubbed by the shell and as a temporary measure it was advised to put some elastoplast or something similar over the sharp edge of the shell that was doing damage, so that it was softer and couldn't cut in. I have also heard of shells being filed down, but I think it should really be done by an experienced vet using a dremel.

So I'll get back to you, but In the meantime, is it possible to send us a couple of photos from different angles, showing the shell that is curved down and the tail. Many tortoises have a shell that curves down right above the tail, but it shouldn't cut into the tail, and I need to check on whether or not it is safe to file the shell down.

Cheers,
Nina

lin

Post by lin » 06 Apr 2020, 12:21

Amber, could you send us in a photo please.
Lin

Amber

Post by Amber » 13 Apr 2020, 10:42

Yes thanks I will get a photo and send it - it is looking much better now but I will send

Nina

Post by Nina » 13 Apr 2020, 12:29

Thanks, Amber -- we'll look forward to it. I'm not sure if you know, but when you're replying to a post on forum, you write your reply in a little box, and underneath that box there are five little boxes that you can tick. If you tick the box that says 'Notify me when a reply is posted' then you'll get a message by email saying that someone has posted in your thread, so you don't have to remember to go to the forum to check if there have been any replies.
I'm really glad that the tail is better, but it would still be good to see the photos and judge how much the shell might need filing down.

Best wishes,
Nina

Amber

Post by Amber » 14 Apr 2020, 20:04

Hi Nina and Lin,

That is great I have now ticked the "notify me" button thank you!

here is a pic of Sheldon's tail and shell. I hope you can zoom in. The tail has healed but still has an indent - but you can see how the shell is curving slightly toward it I hope. If that photo isn't good enough let me know and I'll try another angle!!
He's on top form and we're so happy that he's back with us!

Amber
Attachments
Image.jpg

lin

Post by lin » 15 Apr 2020, 00:37

Owch, and yes I can see it. On zooming in it does look like that part of the scales might have died and will eventually fall off and I also notice the shell is chipped on the under curve. You could cover that part of the shell with a small plaster and pop along to a reptile vet to get the curve smoothed out to avoid it happening again.

Lin

Amber

Post by Amber » 16 Apr 2020, 10:18

OK thanks I will do that and yes the scales have started to come off only today. Many thanks again!

lin

Post by lin » 16 Apr 2020, 11:50

Your more than welcome and please do keep us posted.

Lin