Hibernation fridges

Use this forum to discuss general questions about any aspects of tortoise care.
Teddy28

Hibernation fridges

Post by Teddy28 » 30 Mar 2020, 12:25

Hi Nina and Lin,
I know it's really really early to be thinking about hibernation but I didn't hibernate Boris last winter as he was new to me so the coming winter will be my first ever attempt to hibernate a tortoise.
I'm going to need to use the fridge method and I 've been looking as beer fridges but then I noticed some reptile incubators which some people appear to use for hibernation (Lucky Reptile Herp II Nursery incubator). Smaller than a beer fridge but looks to be room for one tortoise in box.
Would be interested to know your thoughts or should I focus on a beer fridge?.
There don't appear to be many larder fridges around which don't have ice boxes any more.
Thanks

Nina

Re: Hibernation fridges

Post by Nina » 30 Mar 2020, 13:49

Hi Teddy,

It's a good question. I use a larder fridge and i think there are quite a few that don't have ice boxes around. I bought this one (or a similar one, can't remember my model now) a couple of years ago https://tinyurl.com/wp9sq24 I use it as a fridge for most of the year and then during hibernation I use a fridge freezer that I also have. However, with one little tortoise, and if you don't want an extra fridge for yourself, then it's probably a bit of overkill.

A lot of people seem to use the beer fridges, and I've heard that Husky are the best ones (but that was several years ago). Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?
https://www.reptilecentre.com/lucky-rep ... gKby_D_BwE
I think there was some discussoin of consistency of temperature, but can't remember what was said now.
It says that it goes down to 5C -- which is the temperature you want for hibernation, but I have no idea how consistent that temperature is. Even in a normal fridge it's amazing how much the temperature can vary.

I think I'm not actually being much help here. Maybe someone will come on who knows more about this than I do. When the time comes, contact us a couple of months before and we'll send you lots of good information about preparing for hibernation (winding down), which is really important, and also fridge hibernation itself. Or I could send them to you now if you like (with this lock down I think we all have time for extra reading!).

Nina

lin

Post by lin » 31 Mar 2020, 22:51

Test - fine for me.
Lin

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 01 Apr 2020, 21:00

Hi both and thanks for the advice. We don't have room for another fridge and i was therefore considering a beer fridge but came across the incubator (like the one in the link you posted thanks Nina).
The beer fridge is smaller than a larder fridge but still quite sizeable whereas the incubator is even smaller so we could easily sit this in his indoor table whilst he is hibernating. The other thought with the size of the incubator is that we could possibly take it (with him inside) with some careful planning, to his foster home as we usually go away at the end of January. I think it would be difficult to move a beer fridge. The incubator looks quite compact but I think there'd be room for a suitable sized box inside. It also seems to have a digital temperature gauge but I'd still use a separate thermometer to be on the safe side.
Thanks for the offer of info on hibernation, I think you already sent me guidance on fridge hibernation last year but that was before realising Boris had a high worm count and deciding not to hibernate him. I saw something you posted separately Nina about the way you reduce the hours of light as hibernation approaches, that looked very useful.
Will keep you posted, thanks again

Nina

Post by Nina » 01 Apr 2020, 22:27

I can absolutely understand why you are favouring the incubator. I'll do some further research into those incubators and see if anyone has had experience with them and let you know. It's good that you're starting your research early, so we have plenty of time to make sure that you find the perfect machine. I'll send you something on how I reduce the hours -- I make this chart in advance and it makes the whole thing much easier.

Cheers,
Nina

Teddy28

Post by Teddy28 » 02 Apr 2020, 18:07

Thanks Nina that's great I look forward to seeing whatever info you can give me.
Best wishes
Teddy